Chapter 61- Perfect

Chapter 61

Everything stops. Time stops. My breathing stops.

I'm not myself. My mind is blank.

This isn't happening.

But it is. I try my hardest to refocus my vision, and sure enough, Michael is lowering himself down on one knee.

I always wondered what it would be like when Michael proposed to me. I had set up my reaction, what I would say...

But now, in this moment, I'm frozen. I can't function. This is almost too much.

The only reason why I haven't slipped into another world is because of Michael's hold on my hand. His warm touch.

He reaches his right hand into his right pocket and pulls out a black, small, velvet square box.

He smiles up at me before speaking. The guests and I were waiting with bated breath.

"Alondra Marie Cade. Just saying your name gets me high off of love. Sweetheart, you mean the stars and the moon and the world to me. Your love completes me. You are my life.

"You are literally an angel. When I look at your face, I see so much beauty and love. It overwhelms me. It's like... its unreal to me.

"I will never, ever forget the very moment I fell in love with you. I fell so hard, so deep and so fast. It was the most natural feeling in all my life.

"You came to me, well, I came to you, at a perfect time. I wouldn't be surprised if the heavens put us together. It's just fate and I mean that from the bottom of my heart.

"I believe it's appropriate to start from the beginning. When I met you, you were struggling and so was I. We were both lonely, and in pain, and confused. I needed someone. And not just anyone. I needed you.

"You were homeless. You didn't know when your next meal would be, or if you would have another meal. You were left by your parents. You were hurting."

My impossibly devastating story brought tears to some of the guests' eyes. I know they're crying, because I can hear sniffles.

Michael closes his eyes and shakes his head.

"I saw you from the KFC window. In that box. I remember thinking, how could a beautiful girl be in such a horrible situation? Then I realized that beauty has nothing to do with pain.

"I went to you. My heart told me to. And when I looked in your eyes for the first time, I knew there was something about you, that was different.

"I fell in love with you after one day. You just captivated me. I saw your sleeping face, and through that your pure heart. I just knew that you were the one for me.

"Fast forward, not even a year. And look at us. We're together, our love as strong as can be. And, we're starting a family.

"Honey, I don't need to be reminded that down our path, I hurt you. I messed up and made some mistakes but ultimately, you were made for me. Us staying together represents that."

Michael carefully picks up the diamond ring out of the velvet box and slides it onto my finger. It fit snugly. A tear falls from my eye onto my hand, and Michael wipes it off with his thumb, delicately.

"So, here's what I'm trying to say. Alondra Marie Cade, will you marry me?"

This is it. This is really it. He just asked the big, golden, one million dollar question. Alondra, he just asked you. Answer him, woman! Give him an answer! My conscience screams.

My eyes cloud with tears and they begin to stream down my face. I make no effort to stop them. I'll only shed more.

I try to get my bottom lip to stop trembling. I don't want my emotions to get the best of me, but they do. I close my eyes and inhale, and when I open them, Michael is staring at me patiently.

Answer. him! My conscience says again. And she's right.

This is just... overwhelming. To say the very least.

I clear my throat as Michael squeezes my hand, opening my mouth to speak.

"Yes, Michael Joseph Jackson. Yes, I'll marry you," I say.

His eyes instantly brighten. "You will, you really will?"

I nod and the tears really start coming. The tears of joy.

"Oh, yes!" He screams and spins me around in the air. "She said yes!!"

The guests', who watched everything unfold, are now cheering. Michael and I share a kiss.

"I love you, my fiancé." He whispers.

"I love you too!"

Michael's family hurries toward us, congratulating us with wide smiles across their faces and sweet embraces.

"You know what this just turned into?" Jermaine asks. "A baby shower-engagement party! Two times the fun!"

Michael smiles as he kisses my nose, then kisses my stomach.

"He's right, sweetheart."

I giggle, "I know."

"Let's put on some slow, romantic music for the soon-to-be-wedded couple!"

Michael leads me to the dance floor and I follow him. He bows courteously.

"May I have this dance?"

"You may," I curtsy and Michael takes my hands into his. We sway to the beat of the smooth music.

I stare it his face. He's so happy, ecstatic.

I think back to what we've been through. Everything that's happened, every moment we've spent together.

This has got to be a dream. I close my eyes and reopen them, but it's not a dream.

I can feel his hands in mine. I can feel his touch on my skin. This is no dream.

This is the man. The one I'm going to marry.

"Something on my face?" Michael jokes, pulling me out of my own world.

"No," I smile, biting the side of my bottom lip.

He pulls me closer and places his lips against my forehead before kissing it.

"Then what's going on in that beautiful mind of yours?"

I sigh, breathing in the enticing scent of his light cologne. "Us."

"What about us?"

"About how much we love each other, despite everything that's happened, or will happen. And how rare our type of love is."

He smiles at me. "I'm just honored a chance to share my life with you."

"This is all so, wonderful. If this is what a perfect moment feels like, then I'll take it."

Then I press my lips against his.

I will take it.

--

Chapter 61

Vote

Comment

Share

~Joy ✌️