Chapter 23- I Promise

Chapter 23

Still in utter shock, I follow Michael outside and to the car.

"Drive us to the closest ice cream store please," He tells the driver. Soon we are down the road.

"Michael, how did you know.." I start but then stop when he turns to look at me. His eyes are filled with pain, and I know I caused it. My heart sinks.

"I just knew. You're not really honest with me Alondra." He says roughly.

I reach out my hand to touch him but he turns away, looking out of the side window.

"Sorry," I croaked. I can't stand for a Michael to be angry with me. Just the thought of us arguing puts me in a bad mood.

"No you're not. If you were, you wouldn't lie to me all the time." He snaps. I'm instantly hurt.

"Yes I am sorry. There's just so much that I'm new to, I'm trying to handle it."

"Well you aren't doing a good job handling it. Don't you think this is new to me too? I've never been in love before I met you. Have you ever thought of how I feel? That the love of my life can't trust me? That you think it's okay for you to just lie to me like that?" He starts raising his voice. For the first time, I'm actually a little frightened.

"You're in love with me?" I manage to whisper. He runs his hands through his hair in slight annoyance.

"Yes Alondra, I'm in love with you! I don't know how else to prove it to you. I've given you all of me, my heart, my home, my care. What's a man supposed to do to make his woman happy, when she doesn't tell him the truth?!" He finally screams. I stay silent as tears make a path down my cheeks.

"Are you still going to hold your tongue?" Michael says hardly.

"No. I left school because there's this girl, and she's bullying me. I've known her for a while.."

I go on to tell him about Ching and the way she has taunted me.

"Now was that so hard?" He says after I finish speaking.

"No. I feel a little better actually." I reply to him.

"I'm sorry," he tells me softly.

"Sorry for what?" I ask, confused.

"I'm sorry for shouting at you. I really shouldn't have, I was just so frustrated." But I shake my head.

"No, that's okay. I think I deserved that." I say.

"Do you promise to be honest with me, from now on?" He looks me straight in the eye with intensity and I try not to crumble under his hard gaze.

"Yes, I promise. I'm sorry for not doing that before." I say.

"That's not enough, I want a pinky promise.." He replies while holding out his little finger. I put mine up as well and lock it with his.

"I promise," I say.

"You know you can't break that promise," he whispers before placing his soft lips on mine.

I'm so grateful to feel his lips. That short-lived argument is out of the way. Fighting with Michael is most likely the worst thing ever.

"Mhmm, I know, and I won't." I remark against his lips. I try to enjoy the kiss before he pulls away all too soon.

"Good. Look, we're here," Michael points to the window and we've arrived at the ice cream store.

The limo stops and Michael puts on a surgical mask with his shades to conceal his internationally recognizable face. I have my sunglasses and I put my hood over my hair.

He links hands with me and pulls me out of the car after him. We enter the shop and different and sweet ice cream flavors mix together to hit my nostrils. Much to our fortune, it's basically deserted.

I walk over to the ordering line and Michael follows close. The cashier asks us what we'd like to order. I look up at the choices; they seem endless. Then I finally settle.

"For the first scoop, I'll have fudge chocolate, and vanilla Oreo with sprinkles for the second." I say.

"And for you?" He looks at Michael.

"I'll share with her," he says.

The cashier nods, but then takes another look at him. Michael's grip on my hand tightens. I rub the side of his hand to help him relax.

I watch the worker make the I've cream cone and hands it to me minutes later. I thank him and Michael pays for it, and then hurries out of the shop with me right behind him.

"Are we eating this in the car?" I ask him. He nods.

"If that's okay. That guy was making me uncomfortable."

"That's fine," I say before licking the ice cream cone a few times.

"Hey! Save some for me!" He says with a laugh. I giggle along with him as we enter back into the car.

"Sorry! It's really yummy," I smile.

"I'm sure." He tastes the treat and then raises his eyebrows, impressed.

"See, I told you it's good." I say.

"Yes, and you were right. But your lips are tastier," He says with a knowing glint in his eye before giving me a passionate kiss.

"I love you," I say lowly. He looks at me and kisses my hair.

"Are you telling the truth?" He asks. I gape at him.

"Of course I am! I promised you I would, remember?" He nods his head.

"I do. And I love you too sweetheart."

I feel happy when I hear his nickname for me come out of his mouth. It holds so much affection.

"I don't wanna go back to school tomorrow." I say to him.

"You're going to go back and face your problems, work things out. Don't let this person get in the way. You know exactly why you're there." Michael says back.

I don't say anything for a while. I think about how I really shouldn't let Ching mess with my emotions like that. I'm going to stand up for myself, and I don't care if I'm standing alone. I'll always have Michael with me.

"I love you more." I say finally. Michael gives me a lovely smile, his lovely smile.

With that we share the rest of the ice cream, talking and cuddling the rest of the way home.

--

Vote

Comment

Share

What will happen when she goes back to school? Was Michael right for being frustrated? Comment!

~Joy ✌️