Chapter 51- Child?

Chapter 51

I hear muffled voices all around me, but don't know who they belong to. I try to open my eyes but they don't open. Why does it take so much effort to wake up?

And so I lay there, trying to move my arms but they don't cooperate. I want to just touch my belly, tell my baby that we're okay.

It seems like the sheet that covered my eyes has been lifted, because I can now open them.

The vision before me is blurry beyond recognition, but I can make out three figures. Then, one moves. "Hey, she's awake!"

Janet becomes clear as she walks up to me, giving me a small smile.

"How are you doing baby?" She asks.

"I really don't know. Where am I? What happened?"

"You were rushed to the hospital after you got hit by a car."

I look to the analog clock that reads 3:04. Memories and images of last night slowly come back to me.

I look back at Janet. "Where's Michael? Is he okay?"

"He's okay, well. I guess so. He nearly died when you did."

I frown at her. "Excuse me?"

"Lon, you flatlined for like a minute, and Michael lost all control. Marlon had to pull him out of the room. He cried out for you, girl."

I sigh softly. "Where is he?" I ask again.

"Outside," another voice that isn't Janet's says, and Marlon focuses in my vision. "I didn't want him to go haywire again."

Then he smiles at me. "You're a strong, strong woman. The doctor said that no one that was in your condition would've survived the night. You did though."

"Wow," I say inaudibly.

"Marlon's right. You are a living miracle, my dear," The doctor agrees. "How are you feeling?"

"Now that you ask," I answer, "I can't move my body. What's wrong with me?"

"Ms. Cade, you have several broken bones. Your left arm and your right femur. You may feel some pain soon, the pain medicine will be wearing off."

I close my eyes after I look down to see my arm in a sling and my leg wrapped. "Oh, well. At least my baby's safe and sound." I can't help but smile.

But there's an unsettling silence in the room. No one responds to the comment I made. I open my eyes again.

"Um, my baby's safe and sound. Right?"

Still, nothing.

My heart clenches with fear and I remember the exact moment I discovered this pregnancy. I would be a wreck if I lost my baby.

Flashback..

I sat on the floor of the bathroom, alone. Michael had gone to the studio again and I was very scared. And alone.

I made the prior decision that if Michael didn't want the baby, I would care for the baby. I have this responsibility.

I don't know why I didn't think Michael wanted the baby. I wasn't thinking.

I refused to look, even after I knew the minute was up. Oh my god, this will change my life. A child?

I was scared that this was happening too soon. Of course I didn't think I was ready. And my situation wasn't really helping. I suspect that my boyfriend, the potential father, is cheating on me. How great.