Chapter 12- Secrets

Chapter 12

The flashbacks come back. And I don't know why.

I thought that they were gone after the days I've spent with Michael. They are filled with horrible memories. So vicious, so cruel.

Flashback to the day of my parents' demise. My phone rang and I picked it up, reading the Caller ID. It was my mother.

"Hello Mom?" I said. I put the phone on my shoulder and next to my ear while getting things ready for their arrival.

"Hey honey! Your dad and I are on our way." She said sweetly.

"Yes, I can't wait! Everything is going to be perfect," I said excitedly. She chuckled and sighed happily.

"I'm so proud of you baby. My little girl is all--" I cut her off with a groan.

"Moooom. I'm not a baby anymore. I'm a grown woman now." I said jokingly. She sighed again, and I could hear her smile over the line.

"Okay, okay. I love you Alondra. We'll be there in ten minutes tops." She said.

"Okay Mom, I love you too. Lemme speak to Dad." I said. She handed over the phone.

"Hola bonita." My father answered. I giggled and blushed a bit.

"Hola Papá." I said to him.

"I love you. We're almost--"

Suddenly, I hear the sound of cars swerving, and a.. crash.

"MARTIN!" I heard my mother's bone-chilling cry over the line.

"Dad? What's going on?" I said, starting to panic. He doesn't answer me.

"DAD? MOM!" I shouted.

Suddenly, the line goes flat. I dropped the phone, not even caring as it smashed to the ground. I rushed out of the door, not knowing what to do. I heard emergency sirens and follow the sound on foot.

When they stopped, I stopped, and I looked at the road in front of me. A familiar black Altima had been crushed into thousands of pieces, scattered on the ground. My parents have a black Altima..

The police were working to seal off the scene, redirecting traffic. Ten yards away, a white pickup truck was on it's side. I started running closer.

"Hey, young lady!" An officer yelled. But I didn't listen, I couldn't. I ran to the Altima and there are bodies inside. I gasped and felt tears run down my eyes.

The pudgy police officer caught up to me, pulling me away.

"No one is allowed around here!" I struggled with small effect.

"Those are my parents! Get them OUT!" I screeched kicking at him. He finally let me go. I had a feeling.. I just knew that they were.

More emergency vehicles arrived on the scene to take my parents.. There's a chance that they're still alive. At that point I was crying hysterically.

I jumped into one of the emergency trucks and we headed for the hospital. I silently prayed for the best, ignoring the sinking doubt in my heart.

Minutes pass. Hours. I sat and waited in the hospital lobby for the news. Both good or bad, I wanted to be strong.

But when the news came, I crumbled. I couldn't be strong.

I watched them. Lifeless in the hospital beds. I willed myself to keep it together but I just couldn't.

I stayed with them for as long as they would allow me before I said my final goodbye.

"And Dad," I whispered, remembering his last words, "I love you too."

I kissed each of their foreheads before getting back to my apartment.

I sank into a low depression. I didn't eat, sleep, go out with friends anymore. I didn't go to class. Everyone was asking of me but I didn't care. I didn't want to see anyone.

Wasn't long before the landlord came up to my floor.

"You haven't paid rent for months," I remember him saying. "If you don't pay by tomorrow, you're out of here."

"I have no place to go. Please." I begged him but he wouldn't budge. Where would I get that money in a day?

Nowhere. My head started spinning. I heard my mother's screaming again and I awoke with a start.

--

I blink, realizing that I'm still attached to Michael, coated in a layer of sweat and panting heavily.

I look over at the clock. It's 3 AM, and I notice the flower Michael gave me just a few hours earlier.

My bottom lip is bloody from biting it too hard. I'm so overwhelmed in sadness. I don't know what to do. Except..

Slowly, quietly, I try my best to get out of bed. Michael's grip on me isn't as tight, so I slip away from him and into the bathroom.

I'm going to hate myself for doing this. But what other option is there? I grasp a sharp razor from my side of the cabinets. I hid them from Michael since I moved in.

Before I can stop myself, I bring the sharp blade across the skin on my wrist, watching the blood fall.

After some time, I decide to take a shower and get ready for the day. I pull out an oversized purple sweatshirt, white jeans, black flip flops, and a black beanie. I lay in my closet for a long time until I hear Michael get out of bed. Before I leave, I make sure my new scars can't be seen.

"Hmm hmm hmm.." I hear Michael humming downstairs and I smile to myself. I make my way toward him and he turns around to look at me.

"Good morning sweetheart," he says. I give a little smile as he kisses my cheek.

"What's wrong? You don't seem like yourself." He says, concern in his voice. I sit next to him at the kitchen table.

I shrug and look away from him. "Nothing. Still tired I guess." I lie.

"Don't try to trick me. Tell me what's really going on." Michael says, lifting my chin to make me look at him. His expression suddenly turns serious.

"I don't wanna talk about it," I say, my voice small.

"Alondra, please--" He's cut off by his phone ringing. He groans, grabbing and answering it.

"Hello? Yeah. Yes, we'll be right there. I'm bringing someone along too. Okay, bye," He says, clicking off the phone.

"We have to go. We'll talk about this later." He looks a little mad. I sigh as he takes my hand and leads me out the door.

I can't tell him. After all, some things are meant to remain secrets.

Right?

--

Chapter 12 everyone! Thank you for the 100 votes. Keep reading and voting! 😘

~Joy