Chapter 42- Confused

Chapter 42

To no one's surprise, the story has already spread to national TV news, but it is a shock that they actually got the story right.

"The King of Pop comes to a near death experience with sister's fiancé. More on the lead story," The anchorman says.

I lay very stiffly on the bed while the news story is broadcasted for the fourth time in a row, but make no move to turn off the TV.

Once we returned to Neverland, I didn't shed a tear. What's the point? More tragedy will hit me. Or maybe I should just stay crying because disappointment is always around the corner.

I haven't seen Michael in hours, and I'm too shaken up to go look for him. I rest my severely pounding head on the pillow and moments later, the door opens.

I don't bother to look up, not needing to see Michael to know he has entered the room. His aura is powerful, and so is this headache.

The bed sinks next to me and I can take a whiff of his light cologne.

"You alright?" He asks, rubbing the small of my back.

"Peachy." I answer with more sarcasm than originally intended.

I sigh and lift my head up with difficulty, feeling bad about my remark.

"Sorry," I finally say as I rest my eyes on his face. The first expression I can extract from his features is distress.

"It's okay." He pulls me closer to his body and I try not to flinch, thinking about how roughly I was handled just hours before.

I keep my eyes on him before speaking. "I want to know what happened."

"You sure? I was just going to let you rest," He says.

"No. I want to know."

Michael pauses for a moment and then proceeds to tell me how Jack used deadly force to make Michael write him a check for $30 million.

"This is all my fault," I whisper.

"How? What were you to do, sweetheart? Don't put unneeded stress on yourself. Sometimes, it's too much for any one person to handle." He avers.

I slightly nod. "Go on."

"I talked to my lawyers. The good news is that Luis has been charged with attempted murder, sexual assault, and illegal possession of a firearm. He's locked away for five years at the very least. You're safe."

But am I really safe?

"And the bad news is?"

"They let out Jack within three hours of putting him in. Said there wasn't enough 'evidence' to convict him, which is complete bull, although he's been ordered to pay back the $30 mill."

"That's terrible! What evidence did they need?!" I burst into outrage, sending a sharp pain to my throbbing head, and Michael calms me by stroking my hair.

"I really don't know. LaToya called me and I told her, but she refuses to believe what Jack did."

I scoff. "Love is blind."

"Alondra, she's not in love. I know it. She's shut herself away from the whole family."

"Why are you so bent on analyzing her relationship?" I question.

"Because she's my sister! She deserves real love, like you and me."

He wraps his arms around my waist and brings me closer.

"What if Jack tries to hurt us again?" I murmur.

"He won't if he's in his right mind. I filed a restraining order against him for the both of us, and I've tightened Neverland security."