Chapter 22- Busted

Chapter 22

I nearly fall over from fear. Why is she here? I was almost sure I could avoid her for at least the rest of my life. If not, longer.

"Okay, you three. Let's know a little bit about you. To start off, what are your names?"

"I'm Ching. I'm 19 years old and come from a line of Chinese royalty." She puts an imaginary crown on her head. I try not to scowl. Of course she would mention that.

"I'm Ben and I'm 20 years old. Uh, I'm interested in electronics and new technology." So his name is Ben.. I then realize it's my turn to speak.

"I'm Alondra and I'm 19. I love to dance because of my Spanish heritage."

"That's very interesting you three. What are you majoring in?" Professor Meeks soldiers on.

"Biomedical science," Ching says.

"Engineering," Ben says.

"Um, the Arts," I say quickly. Ching has a sneer on her evil face.

"Hmm, Alondra, tell us a little about your parents. What do they do?" Professor Meeks questions.

My heart nearly stops. If there's anything I attempt to avoid the most, it's the discussion of my parents. No matter how long ago it happened, the grief always its me so hard. I try to think up a believable lie.

"Well, they-" I start but Ching cuts me off.

"Professor Meeks, don't you know? She doesn't have any parents." She says, with fake sympathy in her voice. The professor turns to me.

"Ching, at least allow her to answer the question." Professor scolds. She shakes her head.

"No, she can tell you." She glares at me and I clench and unclench my fists.

"Alondra, is this true?" He looks very confused. I can't get words to form in my mouth though. At this point, the audience is silent.

"Yeah Alondra, tell them why. Aren't you going to tell them that you killed them yourself?" She says.

A gasp collects across the huge room and tears form in my eyes. My first thought is that I have to get out of here. Now.

I run off of the stage and the tears finally fall. Why does she have to hate me? I rack my brain for anything I could've done for her to loathe me so strongly.

"Alondra!" I hear Cameron's voice break the layer of quiet cast in the room. No one else says anything, and neither do I, but I walk over to him.

"Uhh, here are your things.." He holds out my backpack and books and I look at him for a moment before snatching them out of his hands.

I rush down the corridor and out of the auditorium. What a loser I am, bailing on my first day of school. I couldn't even get through the first lesson of the day.

This was supposed to be a fresh start. A new dawn in my life. But something (someone) always has to mess it up. If Ching only knew the trouble I've been through, she wouldn't treat me like she does.

I reach the outside finally and then realize I have no way to get home except walk.

I can't take it anymore. I break down and fall to my knees, pounding the pavement with my fist. I cry out in self-pity. After some time I get up and wipe away my tears. Tomorrow, I am determined not to let her get to me.

I decide that walking will give me the alone time I need to organize myself. It is approximately an hour walk. I have nothing to occupy myself with, so I start singing.

I sing some of Michael's songs, Diana Ross's, and Earth, Wind, and Fire. I know I can't sing, but it is a great way to relieve my stress and forget my problems for a while.

Before I know what's happening, the gates of Neverland come into view. The journey was definitely shorter than expected. Because of security, Michael told me there are cameras all around the gates.

I decide to sneak to the back of the premises, which is the landing for the private jets that Michael owns. Once I get there, I realize the only choice to gaining access to the house is running across the open fields toward the back of Michael's house.

Counting to three in my head, I sprint as fast as I could, trying to dodge the security cameras as best as possible.

I reach the backyard and slowly walk to the window of the bedroom. I climb the tree adjacent to the house and crawl across a big, sturdy branch, landing on my two feet on the deck.

I breathe heavily and unlock the sliding door, walking in to the bedroom. I drop my book bag and books and immediately collapse on the comfy bed. I close my eyes tightly, waiting for the beat of my heart to slow down.

"Back so soon?" A familiar voice says that makes me jump. I sit up abruptly and see Michael standing in the doorway. I didn't even hear when he came in.

"Uh yeah. Lectures ended early today," I say. He nods. Thank goodness he didn't see my facial expression, because I know he wouldn't have believed me.

Michael walks over to the bed and sits next to me, giving me a hug.

"I missed you," I say.

"Probably not as much as I missed you." He brings my chin up and gives me a kiss. He pulls away from my shaky lips.

"How was shooting today?" I ask him.

"It was great. Look, this is the outfit for the Leave Me Alone segment." He stands up to show me what he's wearing.

"You look hot," I say. He laughs and lays back down on the bed, resting his hands behind his head. I smile at him and wrap his hair around my finger.

"Tell me about your first day," Michael says.

I get a sinking feeling in my stomach and the smile I had vanishes. I sigh and shrug, getting off the bed.

"It was good. I met some new people and I think I'm going to like it there." Of course, that last part is a lie. From this point on, I'm dreading college. The word itself makes me cringe.

"That's nice. But you seem sad. You were just in a good mood, what happened?" He asks, sitting up.

"I-I don't know." I say softly. Michael gets up and grabs my waist, carrying me back to the bed. He pulls me onto him so that I'm straddling him.

"You know you can tell me anything sweetheart," he whispers.

"I know."

"What do you want?" Michael questions. I frown slightly.

"What do you mean?" He sighs and strokes my arm with his finger.

"What do you want me to do for you? I just want you to be happy."

"I am happy Michael." I say.

"Then act like it, please," he responds.

I reminisce a time when I returned from school after a bad day and my parents knew ice cream cheered me up. That may have been a while ago, but I'm sure the effect is the same.

"Actually.. Can you take me out for ice cream? I think it'll help me feel better." I say. He grins and sits up again.

"Sure. Come on sweetheart. Maybe on the way there you'll tell me why you skipped your first day of school." He exits the bedroom without looking back.

I gasp and then groan, wanting to disappear. Can't I get just one thing past this man? He sees through everything, sometimes I wonder how.

The only thing I know for sure, is that I've been busted.

--

~Joy ✌️