Chapter 16- Trust

Chapter 16

Michael is still rubbing my back gently. My eyes are screwed up as I try not to cry. I can't cry, not after this perfect night he's given me.

"You don't want to talk, do you?" He says softly.

His breath is hot as he nears closer to my ear. I start to shiver, even in Michael's jacket. I say nothing. I feel like my mouth is glued closed.

"Sweetheart, at least look at me." He says in a pleading voice, indirectly making me comply.

I turn my body to him but keep my eyes closed.

"Open your eyes." He says. I sigh and open them, and he takes my chin to make me look at him.

"I can tell you're hurting. I can help you, but I need to know how.." He says.

His face looks so genuine, I can tell he really cares. So why the hell can't I tell him?

"Don't you trust me?" Michael sounds hurt. Oh no. Not this. I put my face in my hands and sigh again.

"I do. I just.. I don't know." I whisper, my throat going hoarse.

He stares at me and I stare back. I can't help but get lost in his captivating eyes. They just entice me, pull me in.

After a while, I turn away, still feeling his eyes on me. I don't know what's holding me back from telling him.

I feel his hands on my waist, and I turn my head to him slowly.

He smiles without his teeth and then presses his lips against mine. My body goes numb from the affection. It's gentle, but has a sense of urgency.

We remain lip locked for about a minute before he pulls away, wiping his mouth with his hand, clearly out of breath.

The helicopter lands and we thank James before walking to Michael's house.

"I hope you kids had fun," He says with a wave.

"We did, thank you!" I call out. Michael unlocks and opens the doors.

I walk inside and immediately take off my heels, sitting on the couch and crossing my legs comfortably. Michael comes and sits next to me, taking off his fedora and rubbing the bridge of his small nose.

"Please." He begs, the tone of his voice low. I know that he wants to know. I just melt when I look at his warm, coffee eyes gaze at me longingly. I have to tell him.

"I had a flashback." I say quickly, before I can stop myself.

"A flashback?" Michael repeats.

"Yes. It was about.. My parents." I say, already getting highly emotional.

"I just began to remember everything. Every little detail about that day. It was they day they died. December 4th. I won't ever forget.

I was getting things ready in my apartment because they were coming to visit. We always had a time to come together when I was in college because we didn't see each other much.

My mom called, saying that they were on their way. And I wanted to speak to my father.

She gave him the phone and just minutes later.. They crashed. I always blame myself. I shouldn't have picked up the phone. My dad would've been concentrating and they would both still be here. With me. Or, maybe I should've just continued to live with them. But I insisted on getting my own place because I wanted to be 'independent.' But that's not at all what I meant.

I never prepared myself for it. I never thought it would happen. Ever. So sudden, unpredictable, atypical.. It still blows my mind. At least I know that they loved me. That gives me a little comfort." I finish with a small shrug.

Silence is all I receive from Michael. I didn't expect him to say anything. How could he? I just spilled out all of my inner feelings to him. I'd be speechless too. Especially if I were in his position. He doesn't know what it's like. My life is so ridden with heartbreak and grief. All I have is him. I need him.

"I need--" I'm about to voice my thoughts when Michael's phone starts to ring.

"Oh for God's sake! Hold that thought sweetheart." He says, sounding annoyed. He flips the phone open and answers.

"Jackson. Yes? Frank, you know I don't watch news. Because they always say rumors and lies about me. It's pointless. I know but.. Yes, that's true. Okay, fine. But this better be important. Yeah yeah, bye." He hangs up.

"Frank says that we should turn on the news. There's apparently something important on about me." He rolls his eyes.

"Okay," I reply, following him to the living room before switching on the TV. A female anchor comes on the screen.

"If you think you've heard enough of Michael Jackson, then you're wrong because you have got to hear this," a news anchor says.

"Breaking news coming to you. At 8 o'clock eastern time, Jackson was seen with a very young girl arriving on the set of his new movie 'Moonwalker.' They were holding hands, almost like a couple. That's what everyone is confused about. What if they are?"

The woman brings more analysts to comment on the 'story.'

"The guy's a weirdo. I don't know why he's with that poor little girl. It's probably against her will. I hope their not dating or anything, because I'm pretty sure the guy's gay! Ha!" A male anchor says.

Gay? A weirdo? Michael is definitely not any of those things. And if we were dating, what would be the problem? He's so sweet and caring. They shouldn't instantly label me as his victim.

I look over at Michael and he's shaking his head. I decide to turn of the TV. I think we both have heard enough about the topic.

"I need to protect you." Michael says quietly, almost to himself.

"Protect me?" I ask, glancing at him.

"Yes. I don't want the press hounding you like they do to me. You don't deserve that life."

"Well neither do you! No one does, no one should live under that type of scrutiny." I say, and he shrugs.

"You have to give up privacy in the show business, it's one of the many sacrifices. But you shouldn't have to do that because of me.

"Weren't you saying something before Frank called?" Michael asks. I nod my head slightly.

"Yes. I wanted to say that I need you. And that you're all I've got now." I fiddle with my fingers and he stands in front of me. His hand is on his hip and he's rubbing his chin in thought.

"What if we can make each other's problems go away, at least for tonight." He says softly.

I give a small smile and twirl the long ends of my hair.

"I wish we could," I say.

"Maybe we can. Come." He takes my hand and I lace my fingers with his familiarly. He leads me up the steps and to his bedroom. I shake my head.

"Oh no Michael, I'm not tired just yet." I explain. He closes and locks the door before turning to me with a small smirk. Why did he lock the door? He's never done that before when we sleep.

"Neither am I." He says as he commences to unbutton his shirt.

"Then why.." My voice dies in my throat and my eyes grow wide in realization.

Did he just..

Oh my god.

--

This is Chapter 16! Thank you for the 2k reads! Should I write the love scene or skip ahead? I need feedback and suggestions.. Keep voting and comment! Also, how do you do the bold and italics? ❤️👐

~Joy