Chapter 47- Turning Away

Chapter 47

"Well, congratulations Miss Cade. You are three weeks pregnant." The doctor, Dr. Moon says.

"Wow," is all I can say. So this is real. I don't even know if I feel excited.

I already knew that I'm pregnant, but the doctor wanted to confirm by running some tests. She's reviewing them.

"Let me guess." The doctor pulls down her glasses and they sit on the edge of her nose. "You're nervous?"

"Is it really that obvious?" I ask, sarcasm intended.

She laughs slightly. "Well, you will be fine. Everything seems normal, and you'll be coming in periodically to keep up with your baby's health, and yours too."

She then gives me a long lecture about how to keep myself healthy for the baby, and not to be alarmed when I begin to put on pounds.

"It's all part of the beautiful process called pregnancy. Though sometimes it can seem like a blessing in disguise."

A smile of uncertainty flickers onto my face. "Thank you for the info Dr. Moon." I say while getting up.

"You're welcome. Remember to set your next appointment with the secretary on the desk."

I say goodbye and leave the door where Janet is waiting.

"How far along are you?" She asks.

"Three weeks." I feel happiness flutter inside of me. There's something about the thought of being a mother that just gives me a great feeling, no matter the circumstances.

"Lon! Soon you'll have a little one calling you Mama," she giggles as I set my next appointment.

"Can't wait," I smile as we walk out of the door.

Janet has on a scarf that slightly covers her face. Her new album, Rhythm Nation 1814, has really put her in the spotlight, escalating from Control.

As we make our way back to Janet's home, I can't stop rubbing my belly.

"I'm hoping it's a girl," I say.

"Why is that?"

"So that I can be guaranteed she won't be a two-timing cheater like her dad is."

I don't know where all the hostility is coming from, maybe it's because I'm frustrated that he wasn't there to find out with me. He was supposed to be.

Janet shakes her head. "You should be grateful with whatever the heavens give you. Boy or girl, it shouldn't matter. And you're making assumptions about two things. One, girls can cheat too. And second, you don't even know for sure if Michael was cheating."

"Doesn't matter anymore. It's over. I'm not going to talk to him."

"You can't live like that. It'll come back and hurt you."

"Hurt is an empty word for me. It's happened very many times that one more time won't do much of a difference."

The car ride goes on. "Hardheaded, just like Michael. It's a surprise he hasn't come after you yet."

"Not to me," I mutter, getting comfortable in the car seat.

--

We arrive back at Janet's house.

"I'm going to find a job so that I can move out quicker. I honestly hate being a burden." I tell her.

"But you're pregnant, I think you should just chill."

"Chill for nine months? I'm pregnant, not disabled Janet," I reply.

I finally convince her that I'll start looking for a job the next day.