20

"Yes, I work tomorrow at 6 AM to do a full restock so I'll get out by 1 PM. What time did you say we are leaving?" I ask Ross, my phone pressed against my ear.

He is staying at his parent's tonight because his mom wanted to have a family movie night. "We are leaving at 2:30, okay? Does that leave you enough time?"

Tomorrow is our ski weekend. A couple of days ago he revealed his gift to me. It was ski boots and other ski accessories that Rydel helped him pick out which included necessities like gloves.

"Yes, I'll be home from work by 1:15 so it's more than enough time."

I hear shuffling around in his background. "Okay baby. I can't wait. I miss you. I haven't seen you."

"I'm sorry. I work into overtime tomorrow because I worked 12 hours for the last three days. So, I'm going in tomorrow with 36 hours. I'll get three hours of overtime which is good." I rant. "But I really miss you too."

He responds. "You work too much. But my mom wants to start the other movie so I might call you if I need to escape. I'll see you tomorrow."

"Sounds good. Bye babe," he responds with a goodbye then we hang up.

I finally get to packing since I worked from 8 AM to 8 PM the last three days so my whole body hates me. I pack all of the warmest clothes I have. I need to be prepared to fall more times than not, so I pack extra clothes.

"Hayley, what are you doing? Are you alright?" Kayla's voice goes throughout the room. I lean up and look around.

I rub my eyes, "What time is it?"

"3:30 in the morning," she responds. "Did you fall asleep packing?" She laughs.

I groan, my head falling back down onto the small suitcase in front of me. "Fuck. Yes. I have work in 4.5 hours. I didn't even shower."

"Leave everything out of your suitcase that you need to pack. You go shower and I'll finish putting this away for you," my roommate smiles and waits for me to move out of her way.

I hug her quickly. "You're the best, I love you!"

"Yeah, yeah," she smiles and pushes me out of her way. I rush into the bathroom and take the quickest shower of my life so my hair can dry while I sleep. Once I'm out, she has the suitcase zipped and next to the door.

I brush through my wet hair. "Why are you awake?" I glance at the time. 3:59 AM.

"Chance's roommates were being loud and I wanted to actually sleep so I came home. Have fun tomorrow! Please send pictures. Be safe!" she says as she walks toward her room.

Why did I think working this many hours in a four-day span was a good idea? My eyes burned. My feet hurt. I was cranky. But I knew I needed the money more than anything.

I had to Uber in the mornings to work which only cost around $10 since it was so early and there was no traffic. My roommates typically picked me up since they would be coming home around that time. Today, I finally get my car back and I couldn't be more excited.

My manager Mike watches me as I go to clock out. "Can you stay an extra hour? We are low on employees."

"I can't. My boyfriend's waiting outside and we have the ski trip. I'm sorry," I apologize.

He begs. "Please Hayley."

"I'm sorry, Mike. I truly can't spare any time. Have a good rest of the shift," I smile at him as I walk out of the employee exit.

Hell no I was not staying an extra hour.

I haven't seen Ross in over three days so when I spot him leaning against the outside of his car, a smile immediately takes over my face. I rush over to him and wrap my arms around his neck as soon as I could.