93

"What the fuck do you mean I have to hide?" I harshly whisper as he leans up off me, his eyes full of panic.

He glances between me and the door. "Please, we don't need anymore trouble," he begs. "Hayley, please."

"Where?" I ask, jumping out of the bed and grabbing my cell phone. If it wasn't for the pleading in his voice and understand the harsh consequences that could follow, I wouldn't have moved so quickly.

Yet again, I glance around the room for anything that'd tie me to the room. "My closet? I'm sorry, I love you."

I nod and quietly dart over there. I open the doors and slide in, quickly closing them behind me.

This is exactly what I don't want to happen. I know it'll be sneaky and how much of this can I endure?

I watch through the crack as Ross lays back down like he was napping. Not even a moment later, there were light taps coming from the door. "Hey," I hear her voice just as she opens the door. I made it just in time.

Ross lifts his head up and glances over at her. "Hey?" He asks, acting confused.

"I'm sorry, I tried texting you but you didn't answer. I was in the neighborhood leaving Michelle's so I figured I'd stop by," she says as she walks over to the bed.

I'm standing as still as I can be, making sure I don't knock anything over. I feel bad for listening in, but what else am I supposed to do?

Ross nods and rolls over onto his back then leans up a bit. "What's going on? You okay?"

Danielle nods and walks to the bed, sitting on the edge. She's turned sideways so I can see her face a bit.

"Where's your ex?" She asks.

My heart drops. Did I leave something in his room?

I begin scanning the room as Ross looks at her with a confused face. "I don't know. Why?"

"Her shoes are by the front door," she replies. "And Rydel was the one who let me in so I don't know where she'd be."

Ross laughs. "You do know she's friends with my entire family, right? Like my dad loves her. Rocky's dating her roommate. She could literally be anywhere in this house and it wouldn't be that unusual."

Danielle grabs the back of his neck and pushes her lips on his as soon as he finished talking. It makes my stomach sink a bit. Just as I'm about to look away, feeling too invasive, Ross pulls away.

"Why don't you want me?" She asks, her voice sounding broken. "I know we aren't like... really dating, but you don't even want to try. Why not? You don't even want to kiss me or touch me."

Ross sighs, laying back onto the bed, his arm still extended out toward her leg. "Danielle, I just... I told you this before. It's nothing about you, it's me. And that's so stupidly cliché, but it's true."

"Is it because of her?"

He inhales. "Don't - don't cry, Danielle," he says, leaning back up to put his hand onto her back in a way to attempt to comfort her. "I'm just not over her. You know that I was thrown into this while I was still dating her. I wasn't expecting all of this, you know that."

"I know," she whispers, sniffing as she speaks. "But you don't even want to try?"

Ross sighs. "I don't think it's a good idea. We can still act like we always do, but we shouldn't privately. It's not fair to you. If it's really starting to hurt your feelings and you don't think you can handle it, tell your manager or publicist. We can figure something out. I care a lot about you regardless, I don't want you crying."