32

"What do you mean Mike's threatening to demote you?" Ross snaps over the phone. I'm driving to work now coincidentally at the same time visiting hours at the hospital were over.

I groan. "Exactly that. He said I was abusing my managerial powers because I found out information about her online like her number. But I had her number before that? I don't know honestly. I'll find out everything in ten minutes."

I pull into the employee parking lot and seeing two cars already here. Meaning that everyone from second shift already closed up and left. I know that each of those cars belong to Mike and Jamie.

"Okay, babe. I'm driving Rydel and Ryland home right now so call me when you're done, alright?" He asks.

I nod and rub my hand over my face. "Yeah, I will."

"You'll be fine. I'll talk to you later," Ross replies then hangs up shortly after.

I collect my self-composure then my stuff and head into the back entrance. I walk in to see the both of them sitting in his office chatting.

"Hi," I say shortly as I sit in the extra seat there.

Mike turns to me. "Hayley, how are you?"

I shrug. "I'm fine. What's going on?"

I'm going straight to the point. There's no need for small conversation beforehand.

"I think I need to demote you," Mike replies.

What.

What.

What.

I feel my heart beginning to race even more. I can't afford anything if I don't have the managers pay that I'm used to.

I shake my head. "Why?" I ask quietly. I'm moments away from snapping and I don't want to get to that point.

"I believe you have abused your rights as manager."

I shake my head even more. "How so?"

"How did you get Jamie's number?" Mike asks. I glance over to see Jamie smirking which only fuels my anger even more.

I pull out my phone and find mine and Jamie's text messages. I scroll all the way up and hand him my phone. Hey girl! It's Jamie. Any chance you can work my 8-4 shift tomorrow?

"She texted me a few months ago. I don't know how she got my number, but that's how I got hers," I reply, my eyebrows raised. "I didn't abuse my rights as a manager. And if you're going to ask how I knew her first name is Morgan, I can easily tell you all about that, too."

Mike looks shocked as I'm pulling out receipts to counter his remarks. He looks back to Jamie then to me. "Proceed."

"She was talking about my boyfriend non-stop. And saying inappropriate things about him so of course I told him. He asked to see a picture of her to see if they knew each other somehow. Turns out Jamie, or Morgan, dated Ross a while back which is how I figured out she went by Morgan before." I reply, crossing my legs and staring back into Mike's eyes.

I'm not going to be intimidated by either of them. "Jamie, do you have anything to say?" Mike asks, turning to look at her.

I shift my body to face hers and intertwine my fingers, raising my eyebrows as I stare at her. "No," she answers.

"Will there be any conflict at work that I should have to make an executive decision right now?" He asks while staring at her.

Since he's not even looking at me, I don't reply. I wait to see what she's going to say instead. "No, sir." She replies.