16

"You're going skiing this weekend?" My coworker Jamie laughs as she sweeps the bookstore's floor as we close shop together.

I give her a fake dirty look. "Excuse me? What's that laugh for?" I tease.

"You trip over your own feet about three times a day. All I'm saying is you better strap a GoPro to your head so the whole store can put it on a projector and laugh at the monstrosity that is Hayley Atkins on a slope."

I laugh, putting away the rest of the books I had in my hand. "I second that," my manager Mike yells from the back of the store.

"Is this attack Hayley hour?" I yell back.

"It's always attack Hayley hour," he replies, smiling widely at me while taking the money from the register into the back.

I roll my eyes in response to the both of them. "You should be encouraging me. You know I don't do sports!"

"Hopefully your hunk of a boyfriend will catch you every time you fall," Jamie swoons. "How romantic."

I laugh, pushing the cart in the back corner for tomorrow's delivery. "First, not my boyfriend so-"

"Oh so I can go after him? Dibs!" She screams.

I glare at her. "No, bitch. Second, watch me come out as the best skier in the entire world. Then you won't be laughing as I'm skiing my way through the Olympics."

"Sure, sure." She replies as we finish cleaning completely. "Mike, we're done. Can we leave please."

Mike yells, "Yes. Get out of my store!" He replies as he walks out and locks up the door.

I roll my eyes and we both head out to where our cars are, followed by Mike shortly behind. I pull out my phone to a text from Ross: drive safe. It's extra slippery out tonight x

I smile to myself as I fish my keys from my bag. "Did he send you some nudes or something? Why you smiling like that?" Jamie asks. "Let me see."

I scoff. "No. And no."

"I bet he is so bi-" she begins.

"Jamie, shut up about Ross!" I laugh, interrupting her before she can say anything else about him. "Have a great night both of you."

I get into my car and respond to Kayla's text letting me know that neither of them are home since they both went to the movies. I hear both of my coworkers leave the parking lot as I finish up my text.

I put my key in the ignition and go to turn it on. Nothing. I try twice more and scream in frustration, my fist hitting the steering wheel. "Stupid old piece of shit," I say alone to myself. I take in a deep breath and try again. Nothing.

I call Jamie and she tells me she has no jumper cables. Mike doesn't answer. I text my roommates and they're in the movie so they don't answer.

I call Ross. "Hi babe," he replies while out of breath.

"Hey, what are you doing?" I ask.

"I'm at the gym. Are you okay? Can I call you back once I get home?"

I try starting my car again. "Yeah, I'm fine. My car won't start, but I'll figure it out. Call me when you get home."

"Are you out of your mind? Why would I just hang up the phone knowing your car won't start?" Ross laughs, his breath evening out.

I roll my eyes at his slight attitude. "I'll wait for Kayla and Liv to get out of the movies. Actually no, I'll walk to the movies since it's only downtown and that's not far so I can meet up with them there and stay warm so-"