9

I grabbed the plate of chicken as well as one of the sides, balancing them in my hands and walking toward the dining table to set them down. I smiled at Ross' mom, Stormie, who repeatedly thanked Rydel and myself for helping her finish up cooking.

I sit down at the table between Ross and Rydel. The plates started being passed around and everyone took their portions. "So Hayley, what are you going to school for?" His father asks halfway through dinner. I stayed mostly quiet, but now all eyes are on me.

I set down the fork in my hand then replied, "I'm going for Psychology."

"Isn't that one of those majors where nobody can get jobs? What do you even do with a degree like that?" His younger brother, Ryland, asks. I can't tell if he's trying to be mean or is purely curious.

I glance at Ross who is glaring at his brother. "Can you be nice at all or is that impossible?" He snaps. There's my answer.

"I'm just saying! I thought it was one of those stupid majors that anyone would choose if they can't do anything hard or realistic," Ryland's attempt at defending himself.

Ross shakes his head, "Do you not know anything about social sciences? Why would you say something as shitty as that in front of someone who is literally going to school for that and works her ass off for it?"

His father's voice erupts suddenly, "Enough! Maybe if you both shut it, Hayley can explain."

I shyly look up from my plate, really not in the mood to be doing this. "Psychology can be a highly competitive job – often the best idea is going all the way through until your masters or doctorate degrees. You can do a lot with the degree like counseling, human resource, research and lab assistance. It all depends on the direction you are heading and how much effort you are willing to put in."

Rydel says, "Well I think that's awesome. Good for you!" she smiles.

I thank her and pray the conversation will be aimed away from me. Ryland mumbles something under his breath and I know Hell is about to break loose. Ross grips the table with both hands, looks at his parents and growls, "Excuse me for a minute." He aggressively pushes his chair back and goes up the stairs.

Everyone looks at Ryland, either rolling their eyes or saying 'nice job.' I excuse myself from the table and run up the stairs after him.

"Hey," I say, thankfully remembering where his old bedroom is. Ross' head is in his hands and he is seated on the bed. "You alright?" I sit beside him and place my hand on his forearm.

He groans and glances at me quickly. "Why does he have to say stupid shit? It's so rude especially to you and my mom. My mom doesn't feel good and he wants to start arguments? Ryland and I struggled to get along for most of my life. Now his anger for me just continues to grow. I don't know why. Our anger feeds off one another."

I push both his hands off his face and lay my hands over them. My smaller hands rest on his. "I know. I don't think he should've said anything and if he actually was only curious, he could've said it much differently. It wasn't nice. I saw how aggravated you got."

"Who are you to say how I should talk?" Ryland barks, suddenly appearing in the doorway. My heart sinks to the floor.

Ross jumps to his feet, "I swear Ry if you talk to her like that one more time, you won't even want to hit you."

Ryland laughs, "I was sent up here to apologize to both you assholes. But fuck that. Two prissy girls sitting up here talking shit."

"Get the fuck out of my room, Ry. Now."

"What? Scared I'm gonna say something to your little girlfriend?" Ryland laughs.

Next thing I know, Ross grabs Ryland by the t-shirt and slams him hard into the wall opposite of the doorway. The pictures on the wall shake viciously.