57

The next morning, I woke up before him. I guess he knocked down his phone because all I can see is the darkness of the sheets. I hang up and pull out my laptop, placing it directly on my lap.

I open up my schools website and the program evaluation that lists all of the courses I have taken and need to take. After scrolling for what felt like hours, I finally registered for three summer courses. Two were online and one was in class only once a week. This still allowed me to go to work thankfully.

I text Ross then begin getting ready for work. I registered for three classes, they start in two weeks! xx

- one week later -

Ross and I have been texting all of the time, FaceTiming at night before bed. Sometimes we'd stay on the phone until someone wakes up to hang up or we'd hang up prior.

I throw on shorts and a t-shirt with converse as I get ready for work. As I head out, I grab a banana and my keys and start the journey to the bookstore.

"Thought you weren't in today," I say to Max as soon as I see his head bopping around the store.

He shrugs. "I wasn't supposed to. Mike asked me to cover someone's shift," he answers, leaning his hips against the wood by the register.

I nod. "Sounds good. Where is Mike?"

Max glances around. "Some girl came in here then they disappeared. No idea honestly."

"Hmm," I hum and grab the broom to begin sweeping. I hear laughter coming from the back entrance so I turn around. "No fucking way," I mumble to myself.

Max looks at me with his eyebrows raised. "What?"

"I know her, she used to work here. She's crazy," I reply. "Let Mike know I'm in the back sorting shit," I then go straight to the door to escape the main area.

Especially since she came to Ross' dinner after his mom's funeral, I don't even want to look at her. Mike knows we didn't end well, but still has her come by the store when I'm working?

I begin sorting the books, labeling the spines as need be. About fifteen minutes in, the door opens. "I need you on the floor," Mike says.

"I don't mess with Jamie, I'd rather not be around her in case a fight breaks out," I reply honestly, placing the book down onto the cart.

He shakes his head. "She left, you're fine. I'm sorry, didn't think she'd come by," he says then walks out.

I follow him out, trailing behind his footsteps. "Yeah, she showed up uninvited to my boyfriend's house after their mother died. So I'd rather be nowhere near her," I shrug, walking past him to check on Max at the register.

"The girl that was here did?" Max asked, clearly bored and wanted to talk to someone.

I nod. "Yeah, she dated my boyfriend years ago so she thought that made it okay to show up. Also tried getting me fired another time," I laugh, leaning against the counter.

"What's her name?" He asks.

"Jamie," I reply, looking around to see where Mike went. Not seeing him at all, I whisper, "I think she's seeing Mike? I don't know honestly."

Max laughs, his eyes trailing a costumer. "Gross," he replies.

I nod, my eyebrows raised and a smile on my face. I walk through the aisles and continue cleaning up as I was doing before. The shift went by fairly quickly and I spent most of it talking to costumers and cleaning/organizing.

About an hour before my shift would end, a woman comes over to me. "Hey," she says, eyeing me.

I automatically don't have a good feeling about this. "How can I help you?" I ask politely.