35

I didn't want to part from him the next morning. I woke up with our bodies intertwined, my head resting into his neck and his arms holding me close around the waist.

"Good morning baby," Ross' raspy voice speaks softly into the quiet morning air.

I move my hand across his chest and turn my head to look up at him. "Morning," I reply quietly then plant a kiss onto his neck.

"How'd you sleep?" he asks.

"I slept great," I admit and sit up so his loose t shirt flows down onto my thighs. "You?"

He smiles and leans up, kissing my cheek. "Wonderful." I watch as he stands up and walks into the bathroom. "Do you work today?"

I nod. "Yes, sadly." I wait for him to come out a moment later, a toothbrush gripped into his hand. I then follow him in and grab my toothbrush to brush my teeth as well. "What are your plans for today?"

"I'm not sure. I'll probably see Chance and Ellington. Maybe invite Rocky if the two of them sorted out their issues."

I have accumulated a selection of clothes from the nights I have stayed here so I sort through the drawer I was given and choose clean clothes to wear for today.

I reply. "Yeah, you haven't seen them much so that's a good idea." I step behind the closet door and change as though he hasn't seen my bare body last night.

"I'll let you know what I'm doing when I figure it out though," he says.

I'm glad that we have an open relationship. We aren't usually jealous. We make sure to tell each other basically everything so there is no room for lies or secrets. I have met so many friends that don't allow their significant others to have friends beside them. It's toxic.

I come out from behind the door and fold the shirt I was wearing. "I'm going to head out, I have work in an hour," I pout as I walk closer to him.

The only thing he's wearing are his boxers that are tight against his body. I trail my eyes up from his legs back to his eyes. He smirks as he watched my eyes move from the previous spot.

"Alright," he replies. "I love you." His arms reach out and pull me into him.

I smile, "I love you."

Ross leans down and pushes his lips onto mine, moving them achingly slow. My hands move up to his cheeks and pull him harder onto me, his hands gripping my hips. He lets out a small grunt as I kiss him hard.

I step closer, our bodies pushing onto each other's. He pecks my lips several times then leans back, smiling at me.

"Have fun at work. I'll miss you," he says while leaning down to kiss my forehead, his hands then dropping from my body.

I smile and pull myself completely from his body. I start walking toward his living room. "I'll miss you more," I repeat what he says to me.

An hour later, I'm leaning against the counter near the register as I sort through the books that need to be organized. I'm more than thankful that neither Mike and Jamie are working. Instead, I'm placed in charge and have a high schooler and college student working with me so it'll be easy.

The shift was going perfect. There were hardly any issues and we had a nice flow of customers, but it was never too busy that we couldn't handle it.

Until someone walked in and made me gasp so loud, I almost choked.

"Hayley," his smooth voice shakes my core and I freeze. I don't want to turn around and face him, but I knew I had to.

I collect my composure and grip the book tighter in my hand. "Hi, Dave," I say once I stare up into the face of my ex-boyfriend.

"How are you doing? I was walking down the street and saw you in here so I figured I should say hi," he says.

I nod, my fingers turning white from gripping the spine of the book so hard. "I've been great actually, thanks. Yourself?"

He stands here as if he didn't cheat on me. As if he didn't talk to me after that night I caught him. As if he didn't see me with Ross, when he wasn't my boyfriend, but when we all over each other that night he was our waiter.

"I texted you," he reminds me. "You didn't answer."

The weekend we went skiing and Ross blew up on me because he read that message. The one where Dave tells me he misses me and wants to see me.

I nod. "I have a boyfriend," I explain.

"What time do you get off work?"

I place the book down. "I don't even know what time it is," I confess.

I don't want to do this. Why are you here?

"5:55," Dave responds.

"I get off in 5 minutes, but I'm the manager on shift. So it all depends," I say as I place the book into the correct spot. I pick up the next book and do the same action.

He nods. "Can we talk once you get off?" He asks.

"I don't know. I think I'm meeting up with my boyfriend," I lie. I haven't even checked my phone so I have no idea what I'm doing after this. I don't want to do this.

Dave sighs. "Please. It won't take long, I just want to catch up." He stares at me with his lip pouted out a bit. "Please."

I nod. "Fine, but I need to get this done," I point to the few books left. Why did I just agree?

He nods, a smile placed on his face. "Okay, no problem. I'll wait for you outside in the parking lot."

I give him a small smile and continue going through the last of the books. I walk to the register and count the till before handing over the keys to Mike.

I'd much rather talk to Dave than Mike right now because our last encounter was too awkward.

I clock out and grab my bag, shuffling through it in attempt of finding my phone. I see Dave sitting in his beloved Mustang with the windows rolled down. He waves me over. I finally pull out my phone as I make my way over, my eyes shifting to my phone and to his car.

I have three messages from my roommate group chat talking about bills. One from Ross – let me know when you get out of work. It's accompanied by a little red heart.

I sit in his passenger seat and place my phone onto my lap. "What do you want catch up about?" I ask bluntly. I'm not here to play games or really entertain this. I just have a bad habit of not being able to say no.

"I texted you. I know now that you have a boyfriend, but you couldn't even respond?" He questions.

I shrug. "I was away for the weekend with him. And I have an unknown number message me telling me how much they miss me? I wasn't going to let that ruin the weekend so no, I couldn't even respond."

"You were never like this, Hayley."

I snap. "You fucking cheated on me? How dare you even think of coming around here telling me that you miss me when you know I'm happy? You're an asshole and I don't know why I'm sitting in this car dealing with you."

Dave sighs and talks the second that I stop. "Alright, I'm sorry. I know it was a fucked up thing to do, but I was drunk. I fucked up, I know I did."

"It's not okay. Being drunk is never an excuse. And that wasn't the first time cheating on me. I was naïve and stupid, but I'm not anymore."

He watches my face then shrugs. It fuels my anger and I don't how to even react. "I love you," he says randomly.

"Fuck you," I spit then fling open the car door.

I pick up my bag from the floor and get out of the car, digging through my bag to find my keys. I walk up to the car door and as soon as I go to open it, I feel my body get yanked around so my back is against the metal.

I gasp at the contact and feel Dave shove his lips onto me. I gasp into his mouth and push my hands against his chest. I shove him hard away from me.

"Hayley please," he begs once our lips separate. "I miss you. I love you. I always have. I always will!"

I shove him harder as he keeps his close distance. I debate slapping him in the face. "Get the fuck off of me," I scream.