Chapter 10: The Death of the Hero

Cheska POV

We were all waiting eagerly on my room for the results of David's operation. His parents and Mina were all here and my Mom.

"Cheska-nee", cried Mina. "What will happen to my oniichan? Will he die?"

I hugged her, "No, Mina. Dont you ever think of that. Your brother is strong! Im sure.. he'll survive. Anyway, I got an idea!"

Mina looked at me tearily, "Mina, can you heal David's body like you did to me?"

Mina bowed and shook her head sadly, "No. I can only heal minor injuries. My flames were still too weak. Mom and Dad doesnt have a healing spell. Even Alastor couldnt think of anything."

"Alastor?", I asked.

Ms. Shana took out a crimson pendant. Alastor is the God of Atonement that is residing as Ms. Shana's contractor, just like with Yuki.

"David Lee's power of existence is barely an inch.", his deep voice said. "No amount of healing flames can heal his body except maybe on the power of humans like your parents, Cheska. We just have to have faith on your father's abilities. After all, he has proven his worth as a medic on the war 16 years ago. Him and the medical forces are the heart and blood of the Flame Haze army."

Mom took my hand and smiled kindly, "Believe in your Dad. He's out there doing everything he can to save your beloved man. Not only because he cares for him, but because your Dad loves you. He doesn't want to see you sad and crying."

"Cheska, I have a favor.", said Ms. Shana and handed Alastor's pendant to me.

"B-but.. Ms. Shana this is..", I stuttered.

"Cheska, its time for me to hand Alastor to you. It seems like you need to have him more than I ever do since you are fighting along with David. Because of what happened, I want Alastor to be with you at all times and to protect you from harm."

I took the pendant and cried, "Ms. Shana im so sorry that I am weak."

But she patted my head and smiled, "No, Cheska. You had made me so proud. You are strong, that even the God of Atonement recognizes your potential. With Alastor as your contractor, your flames will be unlimited and you can unleash them with more power. My time as a Flame Haze is almost over, its time for me to entrust to you not only my son or Alastor, but the fate of the entire world. We believe in you, Cheska. Only you can save this world, along with David if he survives."

I nodded and gently wore the pendant around my neck, "Thank you for believing in me. I will always do my best as the contractor of Alastor, the God of Atonement and as the Flaming-Haired Blazing-Eyed Hunter, Francheska!"

I smiled with determination, and all of those in the room also smiled and cheered me on.

"Hahaha.", laughed Mr. Yuji. "Cheska reminded me of how Shana always introduces herself when we were young."

All of them looks at me as my hair turned into crimson with flakes of fire surrounding me and my eyes that is burning deep-red.

My mom giggled, "Oh my Cheska. It reminds me so much of how Shana was before. You two are so much alike, what a coincidence."

"Except only one thing.", Ms. Shana crosses her arms, "Cheska was way more taller than I am and her chest was more bigger."

We laughed so hard that took the tension away from us.

That's when my Dad suddenly knocked at the door and sadly entered. He was bowing down his head and he looks so beaten.

Everyone were so quiet until I asked, "D-Daddy? What happened to David?"

Dad shook his head slowly. I screamed so hard, Ms. Shana fainted and Mina too.

"NO NO NO NOOOOOO!!!", I yelled at the top of my lungs. I went to my normal form and rushed out of the door to the ECU. I blasted through the door and knocked every nurse who blocked me.

"OUT OF THE WAY!!"

I flared up that sent the nurses to stay where they are. I ran and searched for David.

"DAVID!", I shouted when I saw him being covered on a bag.

Tears went out of my eyes like a fountain as the nurse said, "Ms. Cheska, David is.. dead."

I sagged on the floor helplessly and stared at nothingness. I couldn't accept the fact that.. he's dead.

I went closer to see his face and I was shocked to see that it was white as paper.

"He has suffered from severe blood loss, Miss.", explained a nurse. "We tried everything we can, we even donated all the blood packets we have in stock but its just not enough."

Dad ran to the room with Mr. Yuji.

"Cheska!"

They saw me wearing a blank expression and a shaking mouth. Once again, the nurses closed the bag, meaning that this is now just a corpse and a lifeless form.

"No.. dont tell me this is real.", i mumbled.

"Cheska! Pull yourself together. He died to save you and all of us, he died as a hero. But he will never be happy to see you like that."

"What do you expect me to feel!? TO BE HAPPY THAT THE MAN I LOVE JUST DIED!?", I yelled and hugged David. I cried and cried like that for several hours until all my strength faded away and I fell into sleep.

"David.. my honey. My love, why did you leave me alone? Why? Please don't go where I can't follow. How am I supposed to live without you? How am I supposed to accept this cruel reality? How? How can I live when you, the one that I love is gone? Tell me how, honey! Tell me how am I supposed to carry on with my life when you mean the world to me?"