Chapter 16: Goodbye, my Friend

Cheska POV

I  can hear someone's voice calling my name. It was faint, but it grew stronger every second. The moment that I opened my eyes, I saw my friends, together with my parents. So I am sleeping on my room at the mansion.

"Cheska!", said Sakura frantically.

"Whats wrong?", I lazily spoke.

"David and Mina..", she's panting like she just got here. I suddenly remembered the last time I met with David. We were quarreling with Yuki. I sat upright.

"What? Tell me already!"

"David and Mina.. were now on the airport!"

I was very shocked that my heart skipped a beat. Just how long am I asleep!?

"Are you kidding me? Right now!?"

Sakura nodded with teary eyes, "Yes. David sent me a text message that he's leaving. He wanted to say goodbye to you."

"I HAVE TO STOP HIM!", I shouted and tried to get out of bed but my dad stopped me.

"DAD!? I WONT LET YOU STOP ME! I'LL GO THERE AT ONCE!"

"Silence, Cheska. You're not going anywhere. Now, you may leave, Sakura together with your other friends. It is enough that we granted what David wished."

I cried again while my mom hugged me, "What is that wish? Tell me!"

Dad closed his eyes and said, "To say his farewell to you. Here. Read this. Its from him."

Dad handed me a letter and I snatched it right away. It was really David's handwriting!

I tore the envelope and read the letter with my heart beating as fast as a rocket.

To my dearest friend, Cheska

How are you doing? I hope you're doing well. I couldnt be in touch with you since I heard you're still in a coma. Tomorrow, at dawn, me and my whole family will return to the Philippines. I wanted to say good bye to you. Thats the least I could do for all the memories we have created together. I will never ever forget everything we've been through. From that moment on the bulletin board, up to the moment when I held you in my hand when you collapsed, I cherish every moment spent with you.

I was moaning and crying so much that the towel mom gave can now be squeezed. I feel like my heart is being wrecked as I read his farewell letter.

I am a little confused that you still want me to stay, when all you said on you text message was about I cant be good enough for you and goodbyes. I wanted you to live happilly without me, since I brought nothing but bad luck to your life. Dont worry about the times when I saved you. It is my duty to protect anyone from harm. But always remember, I did saved you because you are my special friend, and I want you to live your life as best as you can. Thats what only a stupid guy like me wishes for my friend, Francheska Villamore. So I am hoping that my wishes for you become true.

Now, it is time we say goodbye! I will miss you so much, Cheska. You and our friends. Oh, and keep an eye for Yuki, will you? You may not be on good terms with her, but she cared for me when you distanced yourself from me. If it wasn't for her, I could be a depressed vegetable right now. She's also a special friend of mine. Do as I say okay? I want you to promise me. As a friend, if ever you are still my friend.

I will say it again, my dearest friend. Live your life to the fullest. For me, your friends, especially for your mom and dad who only wished the best for their only daughter. You have to respect them, since you owe your own life to them. Chase for your dreams. Work hard. And one day, I hope..

We will meet again. Goodbye and good night, Cheska.

Love,
David Lee

I wailed and wailed at mom's embrace and I hugged his letter.

"Its okay, dear. You have to do your friend's wish for you. We're still here, your family."

"But mom, I love him so much. I.. never even had the chance to tell him how I feel. How am I supposed to live with this pain killing my heart?", I cried and unconsciously gripped my chest.

Mom just patted my head gently and hummed to calm me down. Dad went out of the room.

"Your dad cried too while he read that letter.", said mom.

"But why? He's all the reason why I feel this pain so much. Its because of him, everything I want in life is deprived of me. I dont want all this luxury from him! I NEED SOMEONE TO SHARE THE SAME FEELINGS WITH! I need someone I can love and love me back in return.."

I cried again.

"Cheska, there's still a lot of boys in the world! Why are you so fixated over David? With your beauty, you can even attract a prince!"

"David is my prince, mom!", I raised my voice again. "There may be millions of boys, but my one and only heart beats for one! And that one is David! No one else!"

Mom were silent for a while and kissed me.

"Okay dear. If thats what you believe, then so be it. I wont contradict you. But as David said himself, every parent only wishes the best for their child. And whether you like it or not, David already made his descision to leave. And your dad wont allow you to come after him."

She wiped my tears and smiled warmly at me, "Cheska my princess. Be patient and let fate decide who will be your Mr. Right. Who knows when David will come back?"

"But mom.. even if he does, what if he chooses Yuki over me? What will I do after that? Oh mom.."

I wailed again and she hugged me.

"Thats a matter only time and fate can tell. When that happens, you still have to be his friend. You have to be there for him, and respect the descision of his heart on the right time. And always remember, when you feel unloved, your family will love you until our last breath. So you dont have to worry. Let fate decide how things will turn out."

I hugged mom back while still crying, "I love you, mom."

She laughed softly and patted my head again.

And you too, David. I love you so much more than anyone. Take care and goodbye, my friend.