Chapter 18: Faithful Promises

Yuki POV

I heard my alarm clock ringing like hell in my room. I lazily shut it up and get up slowly. I cant believe its time for school again.

I only had a three hour sleep since I have to see him go. Remembering it makes my chest heavy.

As I went out of our house when I bathed and ate, I saw his house. The very atmosphere feels heavy knowing that they're not there anymore. I clutched the watch David gave to me on my right hand. I have been hoping that it was all just a dream. A very bad dream.

But as I pushed the doorbell on his house, no one answered me. Tears went out of my eyes. I cant believe how much I miss him already. I hope he's doing fine there. I hope he could at least send me a message so I dont have to worry so much.

I entered the gate and tried to open the door of the house. I feel foolish, but I am really surprised that it wasnt locked.

I went slowly inside, and here is the heavy feeling again. The weight of absence. It feels like the house itself were gloomy and sad. And it looks like they didnt took much here to bring with them. Almost all the appliances were still on its place the way I remember it.

As I walk around the house, every memory I had here with David and Mina came flashing back. We used to eat dinner altogether everyday, since Mina and David were so lonely here.

On the living room, where Mina and I love to play with her PS4 and Xbox console.

I went upstairs to David's room. It looked much more emptier, with only the bed, refrigerator, and a desk. Last time, it was full of ninja tools and anime posters.

I remembered the time when I mistook him for making me enter his room alone with him. I thought we're going to do something you-know-what, but it was much greater than that. It was on this room me and David became each other's first best friends.

Its getting late. I must get to school.

As I was about to leave the room, I am completely terrorized when  I heard footsteps inside the house. The first thing that came to my mind are thieves. I cant believe I forgot to CLOSE the door!

I cowered and closed the door on David's room. I could hear swift footsteps on the stairs. Its nearing me.

Oh god. If the thief saw me, it'll definitely do something bad to me.

The footsteps were now on the door beside me.

Is this the end?

David.. help me..

My heart felt like it was about to come out of my rib cage as the door slowly opened.

"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH!!!!", I screamed with all my might so that the neighbors will knew I am in trouble. I closed my eyes, ready to be shot to death.

"What the? Yuki? What on earth are you doing here?", said a very familliar voice. I looked up to whoever it was and I saw..

"CHESKA!", I shouted and hugged her. I wailed. I couldnt believe it myself how could I hug my rival. But I was so scared. Im so glad it was her.

It looks like Cheska didnt mind it so much, but she pushed me gently when I finished crying.

"Im.. sorry Cheska. I was so scared that a thief broke in and I was about to be killed.", I said with my head bowed down. Its so embarassing.

Her butler came running and asked, "What happened, mistress? Are you hurt?"

"No im not. Its just Yuki who were scared back then and screamed when I entered.", Cheska coolly answered.

I gasped a little when she turned me. To be honest, im still trembling in fear. I know that Cheska herself was trained in sword combats since she was little. It was a secret from everyone, but David trusted me with the info.

What a bad girl I am. I assumed that since she hates me to the core, she might try to hurt me like before. I still havent forgotten about that knife that almost stabbed me. Without David to save me this time, I thought she'll finish what she started.

But I was surprised when Cheska said, "Come on, Yuki. David's not here anymore. We have to make up and move on. Lets get to school, and wait for whats in store for us."

I looked at Cheska and I saw her smiling brightly with her hand extended. It brought warmth all over my trembling body.

I smiled at her and took her hand, "Thank you Cheska. And sorry for everything I said to you back then."

We went out of the room and while walking, Cheska smiled at me again.

"You should never apologize to me. I should be the one doing that since I almost killed you back then. But now my dark side is gone. David saved both of us from extreme danger. Because if I really killed you, my conscience will never let me rest. I'll probably commit suicide. I never wanted to kill someone just to get what I want. And now I am free, thanks to his ninja skills."

I was silent as she spoke those words. I am relieved that she's not so hostile to me anymore.

Cheska were kind enough to let me ride with her on the way to school. We were seating side by side. It was awkward in my view, but Cheska seemed to have changed so much.

"I decided to come over David's house just to check if he's still there. I know its foolish, but my heart did.", she started. I just listened to her.

"I was very shocked when I saw their door opened. I was so happy I thought he's still there. I came running searching for him, but when I get to his room, I thought a fire alarm were activated."

Me and Cheska giggled and laughed softly.

"You know..", Cheska continued. "I realized a lot of things when he leaved. I think we should never be hostile to each other, Yuki."

I looked at her, feeling amazed. She smiled at me and said, "We share the same feelings for the same man. I think we should make it a fair battle."

"A battle for his heart?", I happilly asked.

Cheska nodded cutely, "Yes. I belive he will return. Do you also feel the same?"

"Yes of course.", I answered. "David promised that he will come back soon. I have faith in his promises."

"Then its settled.", said Cheska while holding out an arm to me to shake. "When he comes back, you and I are going to do our best to win his heart fair and square."

I happilly took her hand and I nodded. Since then, Cheska and I became friends.

"I did it David as you wanted me to promise. I hope with all my faith that someday you'll come back, and fulfill your own promise.", Cheska muttered while smiling out the window of the car.