When You're in Need, I'm in Need

"Hey Niall, you still up, man?" Liam's voice was rough and tired as it rang through Niall's phone. Niall was lying in his overly comfortable bed, with his phone set on speaker beside his pillow so that he wouldn't even have to hold it up. His entire body was exhausted, both physically and emotionally. He wanted to shelter himself, hide himself away in his fancy little apartment with no visitors and no social media to distract him from the pit of loneliness that he actually really just wanted to wallow in for a while. In simpler terms, Niall just wanted to be alone. He wanted some valuable time with only himself, and he could think of no better time to be lonely. 

Groaning, Niall sleepily mumbled, "Guess so, yeah."

"Well I'm actually calling about (Y/N)..." Liam said, and Niall could hear some shuffling in the background. His head shot up, now feeling fully awake. His eyes flew open and some sort of rush coursed through his veins. But it wasn't the usual excitement that burned through him at merely the mention of your name. No, it was something more serious - and in this small time frame, Niall had already narrowed the possibilities down to two situations. You were either in trouble, or Liam had decided to sleep with you and now he was calling Niall up at just past midnight to express his sins to the poor Irish lad. Niall prayed that it was not the latter.

"What's up?" He squeaked into his phone, leaning up on his elbow. "She okay?"

Liam let out a soft chuckle. "I'm not sure," He said, followed by more shuffling. "Sorry," He quickly muttered, "I'm trying to fix myself a little midnight snack." Niall said nothing, so Liam continued to speak. "Anyway, I know that we're all friends with her, but I also know that you and her happen to be the closest. So what I'm saying is that I could easily do this myself, or ring Harry up and have him do it. But I think she'd appreciate to see your face a little more than anyone else's."

Niall was worried, and Liam still hadn't gotten straight to the point yet. He was tired of waiting. "Well does she need help or something?" Niall spat, "Where is she?!"

"Whoa, calm down," Liam chuckled again, "It's okay, chill out. I don't want you to have a heart attack or something. She isn't in any danger, as far as I know, but I'm worried about her. You know how distant she's been lately. In fact, I think you know it even more than the rest of us. So, she went out tonight and I know she's planning to drink and all that, which is... okay, you know. But she's alone and vulnerable and just... not her normal self. I would hate for someone to take advantage of that, if you get what I'm saying? I guess I'm just wondering if you'd go check up on her, and maybe take her home if you think she's hit her limit for the night? I want her to be safe just as much as you do, Niall."

Niall collapsed on his bed, no longer propping himself up. He stared up at the ceiling, massaging his face with his own hands. He let out a small sigh, to which Liam responded, "You still there? What do you think? Like I said, I could go myself or have-"

"No," Niall sharply interrupted, "No, I'll go. It's fine. Which bar is she at?" Liam sent Niall all the details and after pulling on some presentable clothing, Niall ventured out to his car. It was chilly outside and he hadn't thought to bring a jacket, so he shivered in the light t-shirt that he wore. He kept the radio in his car off and enjoyed a silent ride to the address Liam had given him. He couldn't quite remember clearly, but he thought he could recall having been in that bar once before. It was small and never really drew a large crowd, so Niall wouldn't be surprised if he had been there once or twice. Small, discrete places like that were Niall's favorite spots to wind down when he needed it.