Royal Heart

**This one is a bit different from my other imagines, it's kind of a complete AU. I've seen some Prince Niall stuff before (inspired by the picture above), so I thought I'd give it a try, myself. I really hope everyone enjoys this one, and I'd greatly appreciate some feedback! Thank you!!**

*Niall's POV*

I hadn't yet been dressed for the day, and part of me wished I could stay that way all day - clad in my blue, plaid-patterned pajamas. I shuffled my feet to the large doors in front of me, watching the knights tense up when I opened them. They stood, at guard, outside my bedroom doors - all night long. I often wondered how they managed, although I was told that they exchanged shifts during the night, in which a new pair of knights would come in to take over for the two that had previously been on duty. I wouldn't know - they all look the same under their heavy uniforms. "At ease, gentlemen," I chuckled, and I swear one of them sent me an icy glare. They were knights, but they weren't exactly military personnel, and they did not like to be treated as so. However, I couldn't help but find it funny - how strong and protective they always felt they needed to be.

I left my doors open, because I knew someone would close them for me, and began my walk down the crystal hallway. My feet padded along the red and gold-embroidered rug that lie along the center of the hall. "Your Highness," I heard one knight speak, as to question my intentions.

I raised a finger and said over my shoulder, "Not to worry, Sir, I'm only taking a little walk. Tell the ladies I'll be back in time for them to dress me." There were three ladies, all over the age of thirty, that scuttled around my bedroom every morning, throwing clothing at me and demanding me to put it on. They also combed my hair up and sometimes dusted a little powder across my face, but that was usually only at times when I'd be making a public appearance. They were in charge of organizing all of my outfits - for meetings, speeches, dinners. Anything I attended, those ladies were there to choose clothing for me. 

The knights fell back into a comfortable stance and I smiled shortly before turning my back to them and continuing my walk down the hall. I strolled with my arms behind my back, like the gentleman I was taught to be. I knew of no other way to carry myself, other than strong and professionally. 'You're to be a king one day, my boy,' My father would say to me, 'Hold your chin up and act the part.' As I passed through the palace, entering my favorite hall, the sweet sound of singing birds filled my ears. This was the part of the hallway that was open to the garden, on either side, and natural light flooded through. It was the brightest and happiest part of the palace in the morning, and I now wanted to make it part of my morning routine - to travel through it. I stopped and placed my hands on the marble railing, letting the sunlight wash over my face. My eyes closed for a moment, and peeled open again when the sound of a soft singing voice filled my ears. I leaned over the railing and peeked around the corner, trying to identify the source of the voice. It was then that I crossed to the other side of the hall, finding a young girl in the other half of the garden. She was now gently humming to herself, while digging her fragile hands into the earth, planting new flowers for the spring. I inhaled the fresh air and smiled at her, though she hadn't yet noticed my presence.

I couldn't remember this girl, and I wasn't sure I'd ever met her. There were several people that worked for me, in the very palace in which I lived, but I did not know them personally. Only those that engaged with me every day did I know on a personal level. This young girl could've been hired a year ago and I wouldn't have known until a coincidence like this one. I smiled more and spoke with a booming voice, as to assure myself that she'd hear me. "Beautiful day today, isn't it?" I called, watching as she nearly lost the socks on her feet, scrambling to brush the dirt from her hands. I chuckled softly as she hurried to her feet, and then bowed before me.