Look out for You

"Okay, how do I look?" Niall asked, while smoothing his hands over the sides of his suit. He nervously glanced up at you, and you only smiled in response.

Pressing a quick kiss to his cheek, you said, "You look handsome, as always." He grinned at you as you reached around him, saying, "Wait, one more thing." You gripped a bottle of his cologne, your favorite scent on him, and sprayed some around his neck, closing your eyes as the fragrance filled your senses. "Mm," You hummed, "Now  you're ready." He chuckled and stared at his reflection in the mirror, adjusting his tie.

"Mom!" Your daughter's slightly annoyed voice interrupted the brief silence as she stood, waiting, outside the bathroom door. "Is Dad done yet?! We need to leave in like five minutes or we'll be late."

Niall's eyes met with yours and you pressed another kiss to his lips before whispering, "Have fun."

His lips curled into a smile and he let out a long breath. While opening the door, he spoke over his shoulder, "I just hope I don't make a fool of myself. Even after all those dance lessons, I still don't think I'm up to par."

"You'll be fine," You assured him, patting his shoulder from behind. "Just remember - slow steps. It'll be a slow dance, Niall, not an Irish jig." He laughed at this and turned the corner out into the hallway, stopping when he laid his eyes on his daughter, who was just entering the teenage years of her life. She blushed a little, and shyly dropped her eyes at the ground. No man had ever looked at her the way Niall was looking at her now, and she silently laughed, thinking that Niall would never let any other man look at her like that, anyway. He couldn't stop smiling as he opened his arms, inviting her in for a hug.

She smiled against his chest, inhaling his cologne. "You look lovely, princess," He whispered, slowly swaying with her in his arms. 

"You too, Dad," She said as she pulled out of his tight embrace, "Now, c'mon. We can't be late."

Niall nodded and kissed you one last time, before following his daughter outside. He hurried to open her door for her, and she giggled as he acted like a chauffeur, bowing to her and waiting until she was comfortable to shut the door. He waved at you and blew you yet another kiss while you watched from the door. You smiled and pretended to catch the kiss as he ducked into his car.

You couldn't sit still for the rest of the night. In a way, you felt extremely nervous. And you had no idea why. You knew there was nothing to worry about. It was only a father-daughter dance, and Niall had taken two weeks of dance lessons to prepare himself. However, you still felt as if there was some way something could go wrong. Like maybe your daughter would spill a glass of punch all over her brand new dress, or Niall would trip over someone's foot while trying to dance as smoothly as possible. Shaking your nerves away, you sat down to try to enjoy something on the television.

And after that, time seemed to fly by, and Niall was already barging through the door with his daughter close behind. You jumped up from your spot on the couch and greeted them at the door, giving Niall a hug as your daughter desperately unfastened the straps of her heels. "How'd it go?!" You excitedly asked, taking her shoes from her.

"My feet are killing me," She groaned, "But other than that, it was great!" She brushed past you to go change and you turned back to Niall.

"She looks uncomfortable," You said, "Was it really 'great'?"

Niall nodded while stepping out of his own shoes. "Yeah, it was fun," He told you, "She complained about her feet a few times, but that was it. She said on the drive home, though, that as soon as we got home, she was going to run upstairs and change into some loose clothing."

You nodded and watched as he shrugged his suit jacket off before unfastening his tie. With his suit jacket draped over the arm of the couch, and his tie lying loosely around his neck, Niall turned to you and said, "Oh yeah, there was one more thing."

"And what would that be?" You asked, moving to the kitchen to fill a glass of water for yourself.

Niall followed you, unbuttoning his shirt along the way. "So, when we were gettin' ready to go, someone's wife came to pick up her husband and her daughter. She brought her son with, too, and he was about the same age as all the girls that were there with their dads. Anyway, we come walkin' out and this lad, the son of that one woman, blatantly comes up to us and starts talkin' to my daughter as if I'm not standing right next to her! He was sayin' stuff like, 'Babe, you single?' and 'Don't be scared, baby, I have condoms in my bedroom.' And he was tryin' to touch her and it just pissed me off."

Niall couldn't finish his story because your daughter returned, in pajama shorts and a tank top. "So Dad started yelling at this poor boy, and he was swearing at him like a frickin' sailor! He scared him away. He was just trying to be nice, Dad, you didn't have to threaten his life."

You gasped, "Oh my god, Niall, what did you say to him?!"

With a shrug, Niall casually admitted, "I just told him; 'You talk to my daughter like that again, especially right in front of me, and it'll be the last time you talk at all, kid'."

You couldn't help but giggle, and this only upset your daughter more. "Mom!" She groaned in annoyance, "Yell at Dad or something. He was being a total jerk and he didn't even need to be! How am I ever going to get a boyfriend if he keeps doing that?!"

"Okay, first of all, that is not  how you get a boyfriend," Niall said, as if defending himself. "Decent guys don't want sex before the first date. Or if they do, at least they won't admit it. This kid was obviously trying to get in your pants and there was no way I was gonna let him get away with it."

She glared at him and crossed her arms over her chest. "Honey, listen," You spoke up, "Dad can be a little overprotective at times..." You paused to raise your eyebrows at Niall before continuing, "However, he only means well. He isn't trying to hurt you, and I think you know that. You're his only daughter and you mean everything to him - he's trying to look out for you! Just let him do his thing, alright?"

She sighed but finally agreed, "Only if you promise not to act like that when I do get a boyfriend, some day."

Niall smirked a little, but said, "Fine. As long as I think he's alright, I'll lay off."

Later that night, when you and Niall were curled up in bed, he started talking about it again. He was shirtless, with one arm wrapped around you, rubbing your arm as you rested your head on his chest. "You know, I don't think I was too harsh. He actually got away pretty easy."

Chuckling, you pressed your lips to his and mumbled, "Goodnight, tough guy."

**More protective Daddy Niall because why not??!!!*