Chapter 33: Encounter

3rd person POV

"Your guess was spot on, sir," Ethan's secretary commented, his eyes fixed on the CCTV footage.

Ethan, seemingly disinterested, leaned back in his seat. A look of mild annoyance crossed his face as he responded, "If you've known him as long as I have, you'd learn that at this point, there isn't anything that can keep him hostage. Well, maybe a full body straightjacket, a muzzle, blindfold, and chaining him up again, throwing him in a room with no light. Probably underground"

His secretary, sensing his frustration, cautiously asked, "You seem upset. Isn't this what you wanted to see?"

Ethan sank further into his seat, a look of disinterest replacing his earlier annoyance. "I don't like the way he chose to do it. It's too predictable and basic. I thought I'd get to see him do something grander, but he seems to be very considerate of that girl. I thought I'd get to see a glimpse of the real, unfiltered Hunter," Ethan commented, his voice filled with a mix of reminiscence and longing. "The one I saw thirteen years ago in that mental asylum, that's the Hunter I'm interested in. Only when his body and mind are pushed to the absolute limit does that Hunter show himself, unfortunately," he muttered, his voice barely audible.

As he stood up and stretched his arms, his secretary reminded him, "Should I inform Mr. Belvis of this? His men are scattered around the forest. They might shoot Hunter down."

Ethan waved a dismissive hand. "Don't worry about that. There's no need to tell Belvis. That would only ruin things—I have no use for him anymore. He failed to do his job properly anyway," Ethan commented, his tone dripping with disdain.

"Instead, get me all the information you can about this woman. Amanda Miller, was it? I want to know everything about her. What is it exactly about her that made Hunter so obsessed?" Ethan ordered, his voice laced with a mix of curiosity and determination.

His secretary nodded, acknowledging the task, and promptly left the room to carry out the assignment. Ethan's gaze lingered on the TV screen, which displayed the location where Hunter was being held captive.

"Hunter, I want to see you in the flesh. Seeing you over the screen is not satisfactory anymore," Ethan thought aloud, his desire to witness Hunter's presence becoming more palpable.

Meanwhile, on the other side of the screen, Hunter and Amanda stood together, their hands entwined as he led her towards the entrance. Amanda looked concerned, her gaze fixed on Hunter's slightly limping figure.

"Hunter, are you sure about this? You can barely walk," Amanda pointed out, her voice filled with worry.

Hunter glanced at her, a determined glint in his eyes. "My legs just fell asleep because I was sitting for days on end," he explained, trying to alleviate her concerns.

"I think we should find a place to hide first. You'll die from blood loss before they get a chance to gun you down." Amanda expressed.

Hunter's gaze softened as he looked at her. "I won't die that easily," he reassured her. "You even carefully made a temporary bandage to stop the bleeding from my hand. I feel like I'm at 100% already," he added with a hint of determination. "The adrenaline is doing its job, so I can't feel anything, but if we stop to rest, then we'll really be done for."

"This pain, it's exhilarating. I haven't felt this hyped in years. My heart is beating so much from the excitement, it's driving me crazy. It hurts so bad," Hunter thought to himself, his mind consumed by a mixture of adrenaline and pain.