Chapter 11: 𝑻𝒉𝒆 𝑫𝒂𝒕𝒆

I leaned against my car, the weight of anticipation heavy in the air. I could sense the curious glances of onlookers, their eyes fixed upon me, but my focus remained unwavering. I couldn't bear to stay away from my beloved for a moment longer, so I had expedited my work and made my way back as swiftly as possible.

As I stood there, waiting at the entrance, I caught sight of her emerging from the campus, walking alone. The moment her gaze met mine, she paused, surprise evident in her eyes. I returned her gaze, taking in the sight of her. My beloved had grown even more beautiful since our last encounter.

"Are we going to be staring at each other all day?" I teased, breaking the silence that hung between us.

She quickly averted her eyes, her cheeks tinged with a hint of embarrassment. "I'm sorry. I've just never seen you in a suit. I guess it caught me off guard, you look really handsome" she explained, attempting to conceal her face from me.

"I see," I replied, a faint smile playing at the corners of my lips.

She took a hesitant step forward, but then hesitated once more. Her eyes lingered on me, a subtle grin tugging at her lips.

"Hunter," she called out, her voice barely above a whisper.

"Yes," I answered.

"C-can I... hug you? Please," she asked, her request filled with vulnerability.

I remained silent for a moment, savoring the weight of her words. "You can do whatever you want to me. You don't need my permission," I stated.

'my mind,heart,body and very soul I have already given to you'

In response, a radiant smile graced her face, and without hesitation, she charged towards me, jumping into my arms. I held her tightly, offering her the support and warmth she sought.

"I guess you missed me too," I whispered.

She pulled away slightly, a hint of hesitation in her eyes. "I'm sorry. I got carried away. I thought you'd be away for a week. You told me things kept piling up, so you'd have to spend the week there," she reminded me.

I gently took her hand in mine, bringing it to my lips and planting a tender kiss on the back of her palm. "I couldn't concentrate on work knowing that you and I have a pending issue that needs to be resolved," I confessed, my voice sincere.

She averted her gaze, remaining silent, her thoughts kept hidden beneath the surface.

"I hope I'm not too late," I asked softly.

She shook her head, still avoiding eye contact, her emotions veiled.

"Then should we head for our date?" I inquired, finally making her look up to meet my gaze.

"N-now?" she asked, surprise etched on her face.

"You did agree to go on a date with me as soon as I got back. I'm back now," I reminded her, a hint of playfulness in my tone.

She scratched her cheek, clearly caught off guard. "But, Hunter, this is too sudden. I'm not even dressed for a date. Can't we reschedule?" she requested, her voice laced with uncertainty.