Chapter 7: 𝑩𝒖𝒔𝒊𝒏𝒆𝒔𝒔

☠︎︎Hunter's POV☠︎︎

As I observed Amanda conversing with the police officers, a sense of unease settled within me.

"You just couldn't help yourself, could you?" I questioned Zack, my gaze fixed on Amanda.

After the chaotic scene, Zack took the initiative to call the police, resulting in the swift sealing off of the area. The crowd that had gathered scattered as the authorities removed them from the crime scene.

With the body taken away and photographs captured, the stage was set for the inevitable round of questioning. Given that Amanda had discovered the body, she found herself at the center of the questioning.

" the real target earlier was..." Zack began, his voice trailing off.

"I know they were targeting me," I interrupted, my voice resolute. "But regardless of their intentions, what matters is that they crossed the line"

Zack sighed, "Nothing gets past you, huh?—I wonder how long the police will question her for," he commented.

I shrugged "I wonder whose fault is it that my beloved has to endure this ordeal?" I sarcastically remarked.

Zack chuckled, attempting to lighten the mood. "Well, at least it led to her hugging you. That's something, right? And remember, this is only temporary. They're not suspecting her or anything."

I turned to Zack, "You didn't leave any evidence behind, did you?" I asked.

Zack's confidence returned, and he met my gaze with assurance. "How long do you think I've been doing this? Even if I accidentally left something that could incriminate me, you wouldn't let the police take me, would you?"

I paused for a moment, contemplating his words, then responded firmly, "Why wouldn't I? At least I'd finally get some peace and quiet."

Zack laughed in response to my words, seemingly unfazed by the situation. "Ouch, those words sting a little," he remarked, amusement evident in his voice.

"You're surprisingly cheerful considering the sight of a mutilated body. Are you intentionally drawing attention to yourself?" I commented, eyeing him skeptically.

He glanced at the police officers, who appeared preoccupied with their tasks. "They seem too busy to notice me. Besides, I've set up a perfect distraction that will keep them occupied for a while," he explained confidently.

"Where is that girl?" I asked.

"You mean Courtney? This scene was too much for her to handle. She looked like she was about to pass out. So, while you and Amanda were caught up together before the police arrived, I booked a cab for her. It's a shame, though. I was hoping to make a move on her," he admitted.

"You can't keep it in your pants, can you?" I remarked.

He grinned unabashedly. "Of course not. It's been a while since I've had some action. I miss it," he confessed.

"Try to control yourself. If you get involved with Amanda's friend and then discard her, it could jeopardize both me and Amanda," I warned him sternly.