Chapter 26: Confession?

3rd person POV.

Amanda glanced over her shoulder, feeling a sense of unease as she scanned the bustling surroundings filled with various people.

"Ami, are you okay?" Martin asked, noticing her distracted demeanor.

"Huh?" Amanda replied, turning to face him.

"Are you looking for someone?" Martin inquired, his concern evident.

Having agreed to go out for a movie with Martin, Amanda had reservations about being outside, uncertain if Hunter might be lurking nearby. However, she didn't want to stay home alone either.

A small smile formed on Amanda's lips, she then shook her head slowly. "I'm still a bit shaken up about the whole Rob situation," she explained, her voice tinged with lingering uneasiness.

Martin paused, understanding the impact the recent events had on her. "We can head back home if you're feeling anxious about being outside," he reassured, wanting to prioritize her comfort and well-being.

Just as Amanda was about to respond, her phone began to ring. She flinched slightly, her eyes darting to the device. It was a text from Brandon, and her brows furrowed as she read his message asking about her whereabouts.

"What's wrong?" Martin asked, noticing the change in her expression.

"Uh, nothing. It's Brandon again. He's starting to drive me crazy," Amanda complained, feeling increasingly frustrated with Brandon's persistent attempts to contact her. In response, she decided to block his number, hoping to find some respite from his constant presence.

"That asshole is still bothering you? Do you want me to knock some sense into him?" Martin asked, his voice laced with a simmering anger that echoed in his clenched fist.

Amanda let out a heavy sigh, her frustration and weariness evident in her response. "I don't think even that can get to him. His relentless pursuit might be fueled by my parents' continued support in all of this. But I'll find a way to handle him," she replied.

In an attempt to offer solace, Martin instinctively wrapped his hands around Amanda's shoulders, seeking to provide a sense of comfort and support. However, as soon as his touch made contact, Amanda's body tensed up, a sudden rush of discomfort and unease flooding through her veins.

She swiftly moved out of his hold, her actions surprising Martin, who was taken aback by her reaction. "What's wrong?" he asked, his concern etching lines of worry on his forehead.

"I'm sorry," Amanda began, her voice tinged with a mix of apology and vulnerability. "It just happened out of reflex. When you suddenly wrapped your hands around me, it startled me. I guess," she explained, her gaze dropping to the ground as a myriad of emotions washed over her.

Even when Hunter was nowhere in sight, his influence continued to cast a long shadow over Amanda's life. There was a deep-seated sense of guilt and shame that always seemed to wash over her whenever another man touched her, a confusing and conflicting sensation that she grappled with. She often found herself comparing any gestures to something Hunter had done, which only added to her inner turmoil.

'"Shit, why do I always feel so uneasy?" Amanda thought to herself, her mind filled with a whirlwind of emotions and thoughts. The events of yesterday had left her on edge.