Chapter 16: Dance In The Rain

ꨄ︎ Amanda's POVꨄ︎

I sat by the window, my gaze fixed on the world outside. The events of the past few days had left me feeling shaken and on edge. Hunter's anger had frightened me, and the image of his hand almost striking me lingered in my mind, tormenting me with its haunting possibility. What if he truly lost control one day? What would happen to me then?

Time had passed, and I hadn't seen Hunter since that incident. I made a conscious effort to avoid him, unable to bear the mere thought of his presence. It was difficult, though, because he was the one responsible for preparing my meals. Without his involvement, my sense of security began to crumble, and I found myself growing apprehensive about the food that was being served to me.

Every meal became a source of anxiety as doubts gnawed at me. Was someone deliberately trying to harm me or play mind games? The first day back, the food arrived heavily salted, as if someone had maliciously poured an entire container of salt into the dish. I dismissed it as a mistake, but then came the incident with the chicken soup. Floating on the surface was a dead lizard, almost as if it had been placed there intentionally to send a chilling message.

Beyond the strange occurrences with the food, the mansion itself seemed to conspire against me. Objects that were once perfectly fine suddenly malfunctioned or broke down, heightening my sense of unease. I felt as though I was being targeted, as if someone resented my return to this place that I never asked to be in.

The worst part was not knowing who to turn to or whether I should even voice my concerns. The identity of the person behind these actions remained a mystery I wasn't even sure if it was only one person, and I couldn't shake the unsettling thought that it might be Hunter himself, using these methods to punish me or instill fear.

The uncertainty and fear began to take their toll, casting a shadow over my every waking moment. I couldn't trust the food, the mansion, or even the people around me. All I knew was that I had to find a way to protect myself.

"Excuse me, ma'am," one of the helpers interjected, breaking me out of my thoughts.

I turned my attention to her, acknowledging her presence. "Yes?" I replied, curious about what she had to say.

"I have gathered everyone as you instructed," she explained, her voice filled with a mix of nervousness and deference.

"Thank you," I responded, appreciating her efficiency in carrying out my request.

I stood up, brushing off the remnants of unease that lingered within me, and followed the helper. As we reached the staircase, I noticed all the female helpers standing together, their heads bowed low. Their collective demeanor was filled with a sense of trepidation, and I couldn't help but wonder what had caused such fear among them.

"Good morning, everyone," I greeted, attempting to break the tension that hung in the air.

They remained silent for a moment, their gazes fixed on the ground. Finally, in unison, they replied, "Good morning, madam."

The fear in their voices was undeniable, and it puzzled me. Why were they so afraid? Was it because they were all in on it or maybe it was hunter's outburst the other day.

Gathering my thoughts, I decided to address the issue that had been weighing on my mind. "I'll keep this short I remember Hunter instructing all of you to fulfill my every wish and desire whenever and whatever I want. With that breif reminder, From now on, I would like to be the only one preparing my meals, unless I specifically request otherwise," I explained.