Chapter 3: crutches

3rd person POV

Zack leaned casually against the wall, his gaze fixated on Courtney from afar. A sly smile played upon his lips as he meticulously studied her every move, plotting the perfect character he could embody to ensnare her.

"She's not merely shy," he mused to himself, "but rather an intriguing blend of anti-social tendencies and awkwardness that sets her apart... It's captivating...eats in huge chunks while staring at her phone......."he continued.

Straightening himself up, Zack's smile widened with a touch of mischief. He finally had everything he needed.

"Oh, this is going to be entertaining," he whispered, relishing the impending game he was about to play.

He strode into the bustling cafeteria, his eyes locked on the table where Courtney sat, engrossed in her phone. Approaching her with an air of deliberate nonchalance, Zack's heart thrummed with anticipation.

"H-hey," he stammered, his smile betraying a hint of manufactured awkwardness.

Caught off guard by his sudden appearance, Courtney visibly flinched, her curiosity piqued.

"Hi," she replied cautiously.

Zack's hand reached up to scratch the back of his head, a nervous laugh escaping his lips. He seemed very nervous.

"Mind if I join you?" he asked, his voice laced with an undertone of calculated charm.

Courtney, sensing his unease, nodded quickly, her interest in this enigmatic figure growing.

Zack hesitated for a brief moment, his eyes scanning the surroundings, before finally taking a seat beside her.

"Apologies for intruding," he murmured, his tone dripping with deceitful humility. "I promise I'll keep Quiet."

"No need to apologize. I don't mind," Courtney reassured him.

"People often claim I talk too much. Are you certain?" Zack inquired, his voice tinged with a veiled darkness.

"Yeah," she replied.

Zack's smile returned, but it held an undercurrent of cunning.

"Ah, I'm relieved. You don't treat me like a pariah. Lately, it seems everyone has been avoiding me," he revealed, his words carefully chosen to elicit sympathy.

Courtney's gaze flickered toward him, a flicker of intrigue in her eyes.she quickly looked away.

"Is it because you're associated with Hunter?" she ventured, her voice low.

"So, you're aware of me as well. Hunter has garnered quite the reputation, hasn't he?" Zack responded, his smile fading into a mask of bitterness.

Courtney remained silent, her attention captivated by his words.

"They've managed to blow it out of proportion, tarnishing his image unjustly. They are mistaking his stoic demeanor for something far more sinister,I told him if he were too quiet people would eventually start making up crazy assumptions" Zack added, his voice laced with a tinge of resentment.