Chapter 28: 𝐵𝑒𝑙𝑣𝑖𝑠

3rd person POV

Amanda groaned as her eyes slowly flickered open, her vision a bit hazy. She tried to lift her hand to her head but felt them restrained. Panic surged through her as she realized she was bound.

"You awake?" she heard a familiar voice ask.

She looked ahead and found Hunter heavily chained up, unable to move freely. His legs were bound with chains to the floor, his hands handcuffed, and a long chain was wrapped around his neck, connected to the anchor chains.

"Hunter," Amanda called out, her voice filled with concern.

She tried to move, to reach out to him, but her own restraints held her firmly in place. She surveyed their surroundings and realized they were in a dimly lit warehouse. The moonlight filtering through the windows cast an eerie glow on the scene.

"Don't move too much, you'll hurt your hands," Hunter suggested calmly.

"What the hell is going on, Hunter? Where are we?" Amanda's voice trembled with a mix of fear and confusion as she continued struggling against her restraints.

"It seems we've been kidnapped. I have a hunch about who's behind this. As for our location, I believe we're in a secret warehouse used by the syndicate as a trading post. It appears deserted, but the conditions are far from favorable. As for the exact whereabouts, we're somewhere in the forest," Hunter explained, his voice steady despite their dire circumstances.

Amanda's eyes widened in disbelief at the mention of a syndicate. The gravity of the situation hit her, and her heart raced with fear.

"A syndicate? You mean we're caught up in some criminal organization?" she exclaimed, her voice filled with astonishment and trepidation.

Hunter nodded, "Remember when we first met, the gruesome scene, the bodies surrounding me? Those were the foot soldiers of the syndicate. They're involved in human trafficking and various other illicit activities. Long story short, Zack and I disrupted their operations, and it seems they're seeking revenge."

A surge of anger mingled with her fear, and Amanda's voice quivered as she spoke again. "So, we're here because of what you and Zack did to them? This is all because of your past actions?"

"Why in the world do you seem so calm? They are going to kill us. I don't want to go out like this. Why am I even involved in any of this?" Amanda's voice trembled with fear as tears streamed down her face.

"You won't die here. I promise you, right here and now, I'll protect you. I won't let them kill you. Just be strong, my love," Hunter reassured her, his voice filled with determination and tenderness.

Amanda's frustration escalated, fueled by her fear and the overwhelming situation they found themselves in. "See where your obsession has gotten us? I wouldn't be in this stupid mess if I hadn't met you in the first place. This is all your fault!" she cried out, her voice laced with anger and despair.

Hunter paused

"I know," he replied simply, acknowledging the weight of responsibility he carried.

"You never cease to amaze me, Hunter," a voice called out from the shadows.

Amanda quickly shifted her attention to the source, her eyes searching for the owner of the voice.