Chapter 8: Advice

❦︎Amanda's POV❦︎

I jolted awake to the irritating screech of my alarm clock, groaning as I fumbled to shut it off. Finally, I managed to sit up in bed, my head throbbing slightly, and found myself lacking the motivation to get up.

After reluctantly dragging my tired body to the bathroom, I went through my typical morning routine. I took a refreshing shower, brushed my teeth, and got dressed, all the while feeling a sense of resignation hanging over me. Eventually, I made my way to the kitchen.

Knowing Hunter would be arriving any minute, I hastily prepared a simple breakfast. It had become a regular occurrence for him to pick me up in the mornings, and I had grown accustomed to his presence.

A smile tugged at the corners of my lips as I recalled the events of the previous night.

Hunter had come so close to kissing me. I couldn't quite explain the sudden longing I felt for him, but in that moment, I yearned for his touch more than anything. My feelings for him were still uncertain, but the desire for a passionate kiss was undeniable.

Over the years, I had been involved in a few relationships, none of which lasted more than a few months.

My mother always insisted on setting me up with wealthy young men whom she believed would bring me happiness. However, each one of those men expected something from me that I simply wasn't ready to give: sex.

While I didn't hold overly traditional views, I refused to surrender my body to just anyone for the sake of it. It infuriated me when they made me feel worthless, as if the only thing I had to ever offer was my vagina.

My most recent ex-boyfriend seemed different at first; he was the first man I truly fell in love with. But that illusion shattered all too quickly.

That's why, despite my growing feelings for Hunter, I was filled with fear. I was terrified that he would change the moment we officially started dating, just like all the other guys I had encountered in the past.

Just as I was lost in my thoughts, a knock on the door abruptly interrupted me.

I swiftly grabbed my backpack, slung it over my shoulders, and made my way to the door. I was apprehensive, but I knew I had to address what had almost happened between Hunter and me the previous night.

With a wide grin on my face, I swung the door open, only for my smile to fade as I laid eyes on the person standing before me. I scanned the area, but Hunter was nowhere to be seen. Instead, there was a man dressed in a suit—a rather intimidating figure with an emotionless expression.

"Can I help you?" I inquired, feeling a tinge of unease.

"The boss sent me to pick you up and drop you off at college," he explained.

'Boss?' I thought, puzzled.

"And who might your boss be?" I asked.

"Mr. Craver," he replied.

"Why didn't he come to pick me up himself?" I pressed further, a nagging thought crossing my mind—was he avoiding me because of what had transpired the previous night?

"He didn't say," came his curt response.

I locked my door and followed the man, I climbed into the car, the silence enveloping us. However, the tranquility was short-lived as my phone began to ring, displaying my brother's name on the screen.