Chapter 30: Day 1

Amanda's POV

"How are you holding up?" Hunter suddenly asked, breaking the silence that had enveloped us.

I let out a bitter chuckle, glancing around at our surroundings. The supposed guards who were meant to watch over us were passed out in a drunken stupor.

"Couldn't be better," I commented sarcastically, my voice laced with frustration. "Your version of kidnapping is definitely an upgrade. At least I had four square meals and a bed. Sitting on this hard floor is starting to take its toll on my butt."

"I'm glad you're managing to keep your sense of humor amidst all of this. The morning is approaching, I guess you can start counting down," he reassured me.

I looked at him, searching for sincerity in his eyes. "Were you actually serious about what you said earlier? About us finding a way to escape from here?" I asked, my voice tinged with both hope and skepticism.

Hunter's gaze met mine, unwavering and determined. "Have I ever broken a promise I've made to you?" he replied, his voice filled with conviction.

I paused.

"So, how long?" I asked, my curiosity getting the better of me.

"Huh, how long what?" Hunter repeated, momentarily confused.

"How long have you been here in town I mean?" I clarified.

Hunter responded almost immediately "Six months, two weeks, four days, twelve hours, fifty-one minutes, and counting. I don't have a watch, so I can't give you the exact time period."

A realization struck me. "So basically, you've been here since I got back as well," I muttered, connecting the dots.

"I don't get it. Why did you let me go if you're only going to drag me back again?" I questioned, my frustration and confusion intertwining.

"Who said I was going to drag you back? I told you back then, I wasn't keeping you there permanently. I just wanted to hide you from the world for a little while, I really missed you that's why I came to see you" he explained, his tone calm.

"Fucking lunatic," I blurted out, unable to contain my exasperation.

"Calling your future husband a lunatic isn't very nice my love," he retorted, trying to lighten the mood.

"Shove it," I snapped, not in the mood for his playful banter.

He chuckled.

"By the way...., earlier when that Belvis guy was here, he mentioned a woman's name. Who is that woman?" I inquired, my curiosity piqued.

Hunter hesitated, a brief moment of tension filling the air, before he replied,"jealous? Are you wondering if I have another woman"

"Like hell I would care, if she really is your girlfriend then tell her to switch places with me"I quickly defended.

Hunter sighed before replying "That is my mother's name."

"Your mother? Your birth mom, right?" I asked, seeking clarification.

The chains that bound him rattled slightly as he nodded his head. "She was killed years ago, and I have a hunch that the man who killed her is the mastermind behind our kidnapping," he revealed.