Chapter 33: 𝑺𝒍𝒊𝒗𝒆𝒓 𝑷𝒍𝒂𝒕𝒕𝒆𝒓

ꨄ︎Amanda's povꨄ︎

We had rushed Hunter to the nearest hospital, as he was losing a lot of blood. When we arrived at the ICU, the medical staff quickly sprang into action.

The nurses immediately wheeled Hunter into a trauma room, calling out his vital signs and injuries as they rushed him in. A team of doctors and nurses surrounded him, assessing his condition and preparing to provide emergency treatment.

One of the doctors approached us, still focused on stabilizing Hunter. "Can you tell me what happened?" she asked, her tone urgent but calm.

"He... He was attacked," Zack managed to explain. "He has gunshot wounds, his right hand in bleeding profusely along with other injuries."

The doctor nodded. "Okay, we're going to do everything we can to save him. You'll need to speak with the police,and file a report."

She turned and rejoined the medical team, barking orders as they worked to stem the bleeding and prepare Hunter for the operating room. Within minutes, he was rushed away, the doctors and nurses focused solely on providing the critical care he required.

Zack and I were left standing in the hallway.

I paced anxiously up and down the waiting room, my mind racing with worry. Zack remained uncharacteristically silent for a long time.

"Aren't you going home?" he suddenly asked.

I wiped the tears from my face, turning to face him. "How can I leave when he's in this condition? If I hadn't let him go alone into the forest, maybe he wouldn't be this way," I lamented, the guilt weighing heavily on me.

Zack paused before responding. "Are you not angry at him? You were not supposed to be there - you got dragged into this mess because of Hunter's past coming back to haunt him," he reminded me.

"You don't have to remind me, I already know. But right now, I don't care. All I want is for him to be okay. I don't want him to die," I cried, the emotion pouring out.

Zack opened his arms, and after a moment's hesitation, I wrapped my hands around him, feeling the fatigue from the ordeal crashing down on me.

"He's going to be okay, right?" I asked, my voice quivering.

Zack's hands trembled as he spoke. "Of course he is. He has something he has to live for - there's no way he'll just admit defeat like that," he assured, though I could sense the underlying worry in his voice.

I clung to Zack, drawing strength from his presence, even as my heart ached with concern for Hunter's wellbeing.

After what felt like an eternity, the doctor finally emerged from the operating room.

"Doctor, how is he?" Zack asked urgently, rushing over to the physician.

"The operation was a success - we were able to stop the bleeding and patch up his wounds," the doctor explained. "But he'll need to be kept in the ICU for the time being."

I felt a pit in my stomach. "The ICU? Is he still in danger?"

The doctor's expression grew somber. "His body has been through immense trauma. It's going to take time for him to recover, especially when it comes to his hands. The infection wasn't too severe, but it will be a long road before he's able to use them normally again."