Chapter 27: 𝑨𝒏𝒏𝒊𝒗𝒆𝒓𝒔𝒂𝒓𝒚

❦︎𝔸𝕞𝕒𝕟𝕕𝕒'𝕤 ℙ𝕆𝕍ꨄ︎

My plans for a weekend spa getaway suddenly took a new turn as I found myself considering an out-of-town trip. While seeking spa recommendations from a cousin of mine, she unexpectedly suggested that I spend the weekend at her place instead.

Her home was nestled in the serene countryside, a quiet suburban area that always exuded a cozy charm. As a child, visiting her place felt like embarking on a journey to another world. I cherished those memories, especially the times I spent exploring the enchanting forest nearby.

Intrigued by the idea, I decided to embrace the change of plans. With a mix of anticipation and curiosity, I found myself groaning as the cab I was in now traversed a road leading to a small town, deviating from my original destination. Looking out of the cab window, I noticed something captivating.

"It looks like there are a lot of people down there," I remarked, my gaze fixed on the bustling scene.

The cab driver nodded in agreement. "There's a festival taking place," he replied, his tone filled with a hint of excitement.

Curiosity piqued, I inquired further. "Really? What kind of festival?"

The cab driver paused, momentarily lost in thought. "I don't really remember the specifics, but they usually hold it every year. It's going to be happening throughout the weekend. Many travelers stop by, and I've heard that the people there are very welcoming," he explained.

A smile tugged at the corners of my lips as I absorbed his words. "It sure sounds like fun," I commented, a sense of adventure brewing within me.

After a moment of contemplation, I checked the time on my phone and glanced out of the window. It dawned on me that my cousin's place was within walkable distance from the city I had just arrived at.

"Hmm, uh, sir, change of plans. I'll be getting off at this city," I informed the cab driver.

"Got it," he acknowledged, adjusting the route accordingly.

A sense of relief washed over me as I thought about the purpose of this trip-to relax and escape from any negative thoughts. The day had started off positively, and I was glad for that.

As the drive came to an end, the driver dropped me off at my new destination. Since it was just a day trip, I didn't have any luggage to drag around, allowing me the freedom to explore the area.

The city was bustling with people wherever I looked. Vibrant decorations adorned the streets, and there were numerous food stalls and various stores lining the sidewalks.

"Hello, dear. This is your first time here, isn't it?" an elderly woman at a dessert stall asked as I approached.

"Am I making it too obvious?" I replied with a nervous laugh, realizing that my unfamiliarity with the place had given me away.

"I can just tell. So, what are you having? I have all kinds of dishes," she offered.

"Let's see... I think I'll go for the cupcake," I decided, my eyes drawn to the array of desserts behind the glass.

Curiosity getting the better of me, I asked, "By the way, what's the festival for?"

"It's an agricultural and commercial show. It's the time when small businesses showcase their best products to advertise their brands since a lot of investors visit our little town this time of year," she explained, handing me the cupcake I had chosen.