Chapter 22: 𝑬𝒔𝒄𝒂𝒑𝒆

I sat at the table, stealing glances at Hunter as he ate. The events of the previous night lingered in my mind, causing my cheeks to heat up with embarrassment. I couldn't help but wonder what would have happened if things had gone further, if he had lost control and we had ended up having sex. The fear of judgment and my lack of experience weighed heavily on my thoughts. Unlike the women he may have been with before, I was still a virgin and had no prior sexual encounters.

Lost in my own thoughts, I was startled when Hunter's voice broke the silence. "My love, do you have something to say?" he inquired, his eyes fixed on me.

I quickly composed myself, my heart racing as I searched for the right words. "Sorry," I stammered, averting my gaze.

Hunter's expression softened, and he reached across the table, gently taking my hand in his. "Is it about yesterday?" he probed, his tone filled with concern.

I felt a lump forming in my throat, making it difficult to respond. After a moment, I managed to whisper, "No, I'm not."

He seemed to sense my discomfort and quickly changed the topic. "That must have been a shock to you. I should have been more sure of your comfort before proceeding," he admitted, his voice laced with regret. "But please, don't dwell on it. I want you to know that I will never push you further than you're willing to go. I'm more than willing to wait until our wedding night. I understand how much your purity means to you."

His words caught me off guard. While his intentions were well-meaning, the assumption about our future and the emphasis on my purity made me bristle with a mix of frustration and confusion. I defended myself, looking away from him. "Who says I'll ever marry you? And please, don't make casual statements like that."

Hunter's eyes widened slightly, his expression one of surprise. "You don't want us to get married?" he asked, his voice tinged with genuine curiosity. "Then we can just continue dating for as long as we're together. I don't mind."

I facepalmed myself, feeling exasperated by the turn of the conversation.

"By the way," Hunter asked, his gaze fixed on me, "he has never touched you like that before right?"

His question hung in the air, creating a moment of tension between us. I felt a mix of emotions — curiosity, vulnerability, and a touch of discomfort. It was clear that Hunter's question came from a place of possessiveness.

"What are you talking about?" I asked, genuinely confused by Hunter's assumption.

"That asshole ex of yours. He never—" Hunter started to say, his voice tinged with a hint of anger.

I interrupted him. "if I say yes Will you finally lose interest in me just because I had been touched by another man?" I asked.

"Lose interest?" he repeated, more to himself than to me. "Amanda, you are the woman I have chosen as my bride. Your past actions and choices don't define you in my eyes. There is nothing you can say that would make me lose interest in you."

"Even if I told you I slept with him?" I asked, testing the boundaries of his acceptance.

Hunter's face remained calm, his gaze unwavering. "Even if you had actually slept with him," he affirmed. "Of course, he'd have to die because of reasons, but it wouldn't change my desire to make you my partner. Besides, I know for a fact that you're still a virgin, so any lies wouldn't change a thing."