027. no more lies

Lexa plopped herself on the couch, after just getting through the door

Lexa plopped herself on the couch, after just getting through the door. "And why weren't you at school today?" A voice piped up, as Jenna walked into the lounge room, eyeing her niece curiously. "I wasn't feeling great today.. I went and visited Mum and Dad." Lexa simply explained. "Oh.." Jenna responded, realising she needed a mental health day.

"Then I saw a girl from school." Lexa added, with a small smile. Jenna blinked in surprise, "At the cemetery?" She asked, awkwardly. Lexa gave a nod, "Yeah.. it happened to be the anniversary of her mother's death... We ended up going to the Grill and hanging out for a bit.. I haven't really spent much time with her in the past but... I think we might become good friends." Lexa admitted. Jenna flashed her a smile, "That's really awesome Lexa."

Jenna walked into the kitchen, leaving her niece alone in the living room now. Alexia's phone buzzed, as she received a text from her twin. The Gilbert looked down, and read the message. "Meet me at the Salvatore Boarding house in 20 minutes."

━━━━━ ⋆⋅♥︎⋅⋆ ━━━━━

Elena drove up the driveway to the boarding house, meeting Lexa outside the front. "Thank you for coming Lex.. I really didn't feel like I could do this alone." Elena said to her twin. Lexa flashed her sister a smile, "Of course, Lena. It sounds like Stefan has some explaining to do." She insisted.

The pair entered the boarding house. Stefan was in his room when the twins walked in to talk to him. "Hi." Elena said to Stefan, whilst Alexia gave a wave. Stefan faced the twins, "Hi."

"You could have told me... you could have told us." Elena stammered, already growing angry. Lexa looked to Elena with sympathy, before she reached out her arm and gently took her sisters hand. Usually Lexa was the hotheaded one, but she wanted to hear what Stefan had to say. Stefan sighed, "I wanted to tell you."

Elena shook her head, "You said no more lies. Only the truth. I can handle the truth, Stefan. As crazy as it is, I can handle the fact that you are a vampire. And that you have a vampire brother. And that my best friend and my twin sister are witches. I can accept the fact that the world is a much more mysterious place than I ever thought possible. But this...this lie, I cannot take. What am I to you? Who am I to you?" She asked, purely wanting answers. "You are not Katherine. You are the opposite of everything that she was." Stefan assured her.

Elena furrowed her eyebrows in frustration, as Lexa gently squeezed her hand. "And when did you figure that out? Before you kissed me? Before we slept together?" She asked, defensively. "Before I met you." Stefan answered, honestly. Elena and Lexa blinked in surprise, before they both asked, "What?"

"The first day of school. When we met at the cemetery. It wasn't for the first time, Elena." Stefan sighed. "Then when was it?" Lexa asked now. "May 23, 2009." The vampire replied.

"But that was..."

"That was the day your parents' car went off the bridge."

"You were there?" The twins asked in unison. "Every couple of years I come back here, to see Zach and see my home. Last spring, I was out in the woods, by old Wickery Bridge. And I heard the accident. All of it. I was fast getting there, but not fast enough. The car was already submerged. Your dad was still... he was still conscious. I was able to get to him, but he wouldn't let me help him, until I helped you." Stefan explained to the girls.

Elena's eyes filled with tears, before she started crying. "Oh my god. When I woke up in the hospital, nobody could figure out how I got out of the car. They said it was a miracle." Elena blurted, as it all seemed to make sense now.

"I went back for them. But it was too late. I couldn't— I couldn't save them. When I pulled you out, I looked at your face. You looked the Pierce twins. I couldn't believe the resemblance. After that, I spent months making sure that you weren't them... especially Katherine... so I watched you. I learned everything that I could about you. And I saw that you were nothing like Katherine. And I wanted to leave town, but, Elena, I couldn't. I couldn't leave without knowing you. I'm so sorry that I didn't tell you. I wanted to. But you were so sad." Stefan sighed.

"Wait.. there was two of them?" Lexa asked, in surprise, her hand slipping away from her sisters now. Stefan nodded, "Katherine has a twin sister, named Natasha. She... happened to also be a siphoner." Stefan explained to the witch. Lexa's mouth fell open in surprise, but she didn't have the chance to say anything as Elena spoke up. "Why do I look like her? I mean.. why do we look like them?!" Elena asked, frustrated.

Stefan sighed, "Elena, you've been through so much." He said. "Why do we look like them, Stefan? What are you not telling us?" Lexa then asked, crossing her arms now as she seemed to be growing impatient.

Stefan sighed, "It didn't make any sense to me. You're Gilberts. Katherine and Natasha were Pierce's. But the resemblance was too similar. And then I learned the truth. You two were adopted."

Moments later Stefan and Elena were sitting together on the sofa. Lexa stood behind them, pacing around. Elena was still shaken up. "How do you know all this?" She asked.

"Your birth certificates from the city records. They say Elena and Alexia Gilbert, Mystic Falls General. But there's no record of your mother ever being admitted. There's no record of her ever being pregnant." Stefan explained to her.

Lexa stopped in her tracks, turning to face Stefan now, "What else do you know?" She demanded. Stefan turned to face the girl, "For me to go any further, I would've had to look into the Pierce family, and I couldn't do that. It's too much of a risk."

The vampire then turned back to Elena, "If someone found out I was asking about Katherine and Natasha... Listen to me, it doesn't matter. You are the woman that I love. I love you." He insisted. Elena then pressed her lips against Stefans, kissing him. Stefan cradled her in his arms as she cried softly.

Lexa walked off, into the kitchen to grab a glass of water. She felt like her mind was spinning as this was a lot to take in.

━━━━━ ⋆⋅♥︎⋅⋆ ━━━━━

Jenna was agitatedly flipping the pages of a magazine on the sofa when Elena and Lexa walk in. Jenna turned around to face them, a scowl on her face.

"I don't set a lot of rules, Elena. Not with you or your sister. I trust you to tell me the truth. Where were you? Why would you lie to me about it? I thought that we were closer than that." Jenna admitted, upset as Elena had disappeared overnight and during the day without telling her Aunt. "Now is not the time you want to talk to her about lies, Aunt Jenna." Lexa spoke up, bitterly. "Don't do that, Lexa. Don't turn this back on me. I didn't do anything." Jenna huffed, glancing between the twins.

Jenna got up and followed them to the staircase, as Lexa goes to walk Elena up to her bedroom. "Okay... Question: are we adopted?" Elena suddenly asked, turning around to face her aunt. "I trust you to tell us the truth too, Jenna. How could you not tell us? I thought we were closer than that." Lexa added, now facing Jenna too with an expression of hurt.

Jenna's eyes widened now, as she stammered on her words. "Lexa... Elena, I didn't...they asked me not to." She admitted, seeming cornered. "I don't want to hear it!" Elena announced before she and her twin continued to walk up the stairs and into Elena's room.