024. the promise of your future

The Gilbert twins closed the door behind them, once inside Lexa's bedroom

The Gilbert twins closed the door behind them, once inside Lexa's bedroom. She turned to Elena, who looked at her, who was clearly waiting for Lexa to explain herself.

"Elena.." She sighed, knowing her twin wouldn't be happy that she kept this a secret from her for so long "I'm a witch." Lexa confessed, as Elena blinked in surprise. "But I can't create magic of my own, I have to siphon it from magical beings or objects." She added.

"That explains how you could siphon the spell from the front door.." Elena trailed off, as Lexa nodded. "I couldn't control my magic, and I was so scared I'd hurt you or Jeremy.. so I went away, to Belgium actually, and I went to a boarding school that trained witches like me... so I could control my magic." Lexa explained to her sister, before her mind flickered back to her friends back in Belgium.

"When I finally felt like I was in control, and I wouldn't be a danger to you or Jer, I decided to come home." She concluded. Elena closed her eyes for a moment before sighing, "I was so angry at you for leaving Jeremy and I again after our parents funeral.. but now.. it all makes sense." She admitted, guiltily. "You have every right to be upset, Lena."

"I feel bad that you went through this alone.. you could have told me.." Elena insisted. Lexa shook her head, "I felt like I couldn't tell anyone.. it wasn't safe for me to do so.. it was so unusual and scary.. but now that our lives include vampires.. I guess it doesn't." Lexa said before the pair laughed.

"I'm sorry I kept this from you.. I was only trying to protect you, Elena." Lexa admitted, looking at her twin guiltily. Elena shook her head, "I understand, Lexa." She said, before she stepped forward to embrace her twin, who was slightly trembling.

━━━━━ ⋆⋅♥︎⋅⋆ ━━━━━

Elena came down the stairs. "Jeremy's got his sketch pad out." She said quietly to Jenna, who was sitting in the living room. "You're kidding?" Jenna blurted, in surprise. "Don't say a word." Lexa said, approaching the pair with a mug of coffee in her hand. "The minute we encourage him, he'll put it away!"

"Psychology major. Check that!" Jenna announced, before Alexia sat beside her. Elena looked down at her phone. "Elena.. you and Stefan? Update?" Jenna asked, as Lexa sipped on her coffee, before eyeing her twin curiously.

"He knows how I feel and where I stand and I know where he stands but it doesn't matter. He's leaving, moving away." Elena explained. "Where is he going?" Jenna asked. "I've stopped asking questions. The answers get scary."

Lexa finished her coffee and went to place her empty mug in the sink. She then walked over to her twin, who offered her a smile. Elena opened the front door and the pair went to walk out of the house.