004. for them

A small black hatchback approached the cemetery of Mystic Falls

A small black hatchback approached the cemetery of Mystic Falls. Behind the wheel was a distraught teenager, who was still trying to process the fact that her parents were really gone.

A part of her filed with guilt, as her parents had spent the last several months worrying about the person Lexa had become. The Gilbert had grown a little distant from them during this time too, due to her substance usage and the fact that she spent 90% of her time with a drug addict. Not to mention she left for a school, to control her magic.

Thinking about it made the siphon want to sob. She just wished she had spent more time with them, and loved them more instead of arguing with them for questioning her new unhealthy behaviours and attitudes.

Moments later Lexa stood alone, in front of her parents graves. She read their gravestones with tear filled eyes. The brunette truly couldn't believe they were gone. Being alone, she finally let herself break down and cry, as she'd been putting on a strong front since she'd briefly returned to Mystic falls. Lexa let her tears fall, as she sobbed quietly to herself.

The morning after Miranda Sommers-Gilbert and Grayson Gilbert had died, Lexa received a very distraught phone call from her twin.

"It's all my fault.." Elena had said to her twin through the phone, her voice being incredibly unsteady. "Elena.." Lexa said softly. "What are you talking about?" She asked. "Mum and Dad - they're dead, Lexa!" Elena finally blurted, as Alexia's eyes widened in shock. "N..no.. you're lying. Elena, tell me you're lying.." Lexa begged, her eyes filling with tears.

Elena shook her head, before she sniffled. "I wish I could, Lex." She admitted, before she cried. Lexa took a moment to process all of this.. she couldn't believe it, her parents were.. dead?!

"I was at a party and I had a fight with Matt." Elena began. "I was supposed to go home with Matt but because of the argument I asked Mum and Dad to pick me up." She added. "So they came and got me and on the way home we... we.." Elena stuttered, before she broke down again, unable to finish her sentence. Lexa felt her heart sink.

"Lena, listen to me. None of this is your fault." Lexa insisted, as tears rolled down her cheeks. Elena just continued to sob, feeling incredibly guilty, all the while Lexa let tears roll down her cheeks. "Elena, I'm going to come home to you and Jer. I'll be back in Mystic falls tomorrow night." The girl explained. "Is anyone staying with you and Jeremy?" Lexa asked. Elena nodded, "Yeah, Aunt Jenna is staying with us." She explained.

Lexa let out a sigh of relief, worried about leaving her siblings by themselves during this time, but at the same time she felt so bad for her Aunt as well.. she just lost her sister. "I'm gonna go, and start packing some things. I love you, Lena." Lexa said. Elena sniffled, "I love you too Lexa."

"Lexa?" A soft voice spoke up, which caused the brunette to instantly stop what she was doing, and nervously turn around to face the person that'd just called her name. "Bonnie..?" She blurted, as Bonnie felt her heart sink as she saw the state of Lexa.

The girl took a step forward and embraced Lexa in her arms, before the twin continued to cry. "I'm so sorry for your loss.. I really am." Bonnie admitted, her eyes filling with tears. "I just can't believe it.. that they're really gone. It feels so surreal." Lexa admitted, her breath shaking.

After a few moments, the brunette pulled away from Bonnie, and looked up at her. "Tomorrow night I'm having a movie night, do you and Elena want to come? I thought it'd be nice for Caroline and I to spend time with you both.. we love you guys so much and we want to be there for you." Bonnie explained. "Bonbon, I can't. I can't stay for long.." Lexa admitted.

"You're going back to Belgium so soon?" Bonnie asked, surprised. Lexa nodded, as another tear fell down her cheek. "I'm still not ready to be home yet, I'm still a danger to Lena and Jer." Lexa admitted, though she wasn't sure she wanted to add the part where she'd been a struggling drug addict with anger issues. "I understand." Bonnie said quietly, before she embraced the Gilbert again.

Bonnie Bennnett was the sister that Lexa Gilbert had never asked for, but absolutely adored. The Bennett had been such an incredible best friend to Lexa, and the siphon couldn't be anymore thankful.

"Elena and Jeremy are going to hate me leaving." She admitted, as they weren't aware of her secret ability. The only one that knew other than of course the students back at Lexa's school, was Bonnie. "Maybe, but one day they'll understand.. you did it for them." Bonnie admitted, offering a warm smile. "I hope so." The Gilbert confessed nervously.

Bonnie walked Lexa back to her car, after they'd spent a couple moments more beside Miranda and Grayson's graves. "I'm going to miss you." Bonnie admitted, her arm linked through her best friend's. "I'm gonna miss you too Bonbon." Lexa sighed, "But something tells me that I'll be back in Mystic falls before you know it." The brunette admitted, with an awkward smile.

Lexa was nervous to go home and break the news to Jenna, Elena and Jeremy that she was leaving, but she knew it was for the better. Alexia and Bonnie then embraced one last time. "Stay safe, Lexa." She said. "I will— take care Bonnie. I love you." Lexa said with a smile. "I love you too bestie." Bonnie smiled.

With that, Lexa closed her car door, and glanced at her phone, noticing a bunch of text messages from her friends back in Belgium.

Gigi 💖
Hi Beautiful, I hope Mystic Falls is treating you well. I love you and I am sending all my hugs xx

Bronwyn 👸
Hey Chicka, Hope you're doing okay x

Bella 💜
Lexa, I'm so sorry for your loss. My condolences. Your parents were always so lovely, and Mystic. Falls won't be the same without them.

Carmen 🖤
Hey Lexa, I hope you and your family are doing okay. Again, I'm so sorry for your loss 😔❤️

Lexa wiped away a couple of tears, before she placed her phone back onto the passenger seat. She adored her friends, but she simply just didn't have the energy to reply to any of the condolence messages she'd received, just yet.

Right now, she just wanted to hug her siblings and never let them go.