CHAPTER 26

"everything is complicated.....
if that were not so,
life and poetry and everything else
would be a bore."

- Wallace Stevens

Scarlett's pov

"C'mon Scar, we are already so much late. Hurry up" Kat shouted while starting her car.

Oh god!! Why do I always get late?
I mean, why do I always have to be late?
I want to be like those punctuality loving people. How the heck do they get on time?

"Yeah, yeah. Done. let's go." I told her the moment I sat on the back seat.
She again gave me a look.

I knew that look certainly. It's always about my habit of sitting on the back seat.

"You and your back seat." Shaking her head, she revved the car around the turn and went our way towards the college.

During the ride, I thought about what Maya said to me at the wedding.
When everything was done and it was time for her vidaai , she came to hug me and whispered,

She looked so beautiful in her wedding lehenga. Her pink and golden attire made her look so pretty like an angel.

She came to me to hug before going away to her new house.
"I'll miss you." I said, my voice almost breaking.

"I'll miss you too kiddo." She said pulling my cheeks a bit.

"I know about your marriage."

I looked at her shocked. How did she know about it? I thought no one except me, Xander, Maria and my parents knew.

"Don't be shocked, aunty told me. She was worried about you. And to be honest, I'm worried too." She said, concern lacing her tone.

I knew she was worried, I knew my parents were worried. I knew the reason behind it. But I can't do what they want me to do. It's just too much. I can't.....I know I can't. I can't risk it. I don't even want to consider it.

"Promise me?" She asked, holding my hands in both of her hands.

I gulped. I don't want her to make me promise something that goes against my will. I don't want to promise something that I know I'll never do. Something that I don't want to do.

Something that scares me.

"Promise you'll give this marriage a chance." She asked looking into my eyes.

I just nodded. I couldn't promise her, regarding this.
I already knew I won't give this marriage a chance, never at all. It's just to change, change Xander from his workaholic ways.

And nothing else.
But I know, it's also because I want to somehow repay Maria. It's to give her back somehow what all she gave me.
She helped me so much. I need to do this for her. And for that, I'll try my best.

I'll try my best to make Xander more lively and loving. I'll try my best to know why he's like this, this reserved, cold and heartless.

But I will never , not even try to make this a forever type of marriage. I'm certain about it.

"A fair chance Scarlett. Promise me." She held my hands more tightly this time. As if to convey the heaviness of this promise.

I sighed. I know I'll regret it later on. But it's her wedding day. She can't be sad or upset on this day.

That girl chose a great time to ask me for something. I can't even refuse her.

"I promise." Those two words. Those two words left my mouth, seemed so insignificant, of nothing much importance, as a formality.
But I knew, my heart knew, it was far from that.
Taking my little finger, we did a pinky promise.