CHAPTER 70

"I was terrified I'd break down.
I did.
It didn't matter."

- Rosalind M. Baker, from Women Prayers : Prayers by Women, "Breakdown"
___________________________________________

Third person's pov
___________________________________________

The leaves were falling down from the trees softly. The sky was turning to darker shades slowly and the dark clouds were being formed in the once pale blue sky.

It seemed as if the weather was in accordance with his heart.
His heart felt dark, cold and heavy.

Right now, he was in his car, driving towards the address Mike Stone had given to him to find out the woman who had survived poisoner's poison.

He, at first didn't want to go but day by day, there was no progress in his triantáfyllo's condition so meeting that woman was his last option.

Not knowing if meeting her will be productive or not, he still wanted to try each and everything that could help his Triantáfyllo in any way.

"Boss...uhm." Cole Anderson, his secretary spoke nervously.  Cole's hands rubbed together before he looked back at his boss.

Xander never liked speaking more than a few words so the tilt of his head was enough indication for Cole to know that his boss was listening to him. The only persons Xander spoke freely were with his Triantáfyllo, Ryan and Badima.

"This is the...." Cole didn't know how to say this. The place they were going to was an orphanage but even more than that it was the orphanage the Knight Corporations had initially planned to buy.  So Cole was unable to understand why was the Boss going there now?

Boss's mother, Miss Maria Rutherford had already bought that land. Why does Boss want to go there?

Xander's cold expression landed on Cole and the air around them chilled suddenly.
Cole immediately understood that he has to speak or else he'll suffer for unnecessarily wasting boss's precious seconds of time by stalling.

"The Little Flowers Orphanage is the one our company had initially decided to buy for the next branch. I'm sorry Boss, but I have to ask - why are we going there now?"

But even after the explanation, Xander's cold expression did not change. Infact, if possible, it even darkened more.
He shot his secretary a look as if to say,
And? What am I supposed to do then?

Poor Cole looked dumbfounded. He did not know what else to say.

Boss I really need to know why are we going there to the orphanage. If it's about a business deal, then I'm not at all prepared. Can you please share a little of your thoughts with me?

Cole Anderson has been with him for years now. He was already used to the way his boss works.
Without saying anything, he himself turned towards his boss and spoke hesitantly,
"Boss.....this..this place.."

Xander again shot him a cold look and looked outside the car window successfully ending the conversation.

Cole looked as if he didn't not know what to do. He has no idea what the his boss wants this time so he just turned back around in his seat and sighed.

Let it be. Whatever boss thinks, he must be right.

Xander closed his eyes thinking back to Mike's words this morning.
"This is the address of that place. I don't know where she exactly lives but this is the place where she was last seen. She talked about this place all the time when she was here."