079. a new best friend

Start from the beginning

The brunette took a seat beside their graves, as she smiled weakly at them. "Hi Mum, hi Dad." She began. "Since I've last talked to you.. a lot has happened. I found out that Lena and I are adopted... but that doesn't change anything." She smiled. "Elena and Stefan are still together.. Stefan is actually pretty cool. I consider him to be one of my best friends." Lexa said.

"I started seeing someone... we were together for a few months, but we broke up a couple weeks ago. She needs to focus on herself, and doesn't feel like she can be in a relationship at the same time.. it's okay, I understand..." She sighed. "I do miss her a lot." The siphoner confessed, her mind drifting off to Sienna.

"Last time I was here.. I was probably blabbing on about my crush on Caroline. I don't know how I feel about her anymore... but I think there's still something there." The Gilbert declared. "Not that I'd do anything about whatever I feel for Caroline... yet at least.. it's too soon for me."

The Gilbert sat upright, "I participated in Miss Mystic Falls, as an escort! I escorted Carol Lockwood's niece, and my ex girlfriend, Sienna. Elena entered, as Mum had hoped. Caroline won actually.. she looked really beautiful." Lexa trailed off.

The brunette sat back, "I um... I miss you guys a lot. I haven't really stopped to just mourn since you guys passed, and on top of that, I've had so much other stuff happened.. my first girlfriend Vicki died and... well I got thrown into a whole new world that I didn't even know existed... and I just ended a serious relationship." She rambles. "Bonnie thinks I need therapy... and I think she might be right."

A chilly wind suddenly blew, sending a shiver down Lexa's spine. The girl pulled her jacket tightly, but suddenly stopped as she heard a soft meow. "Huh?" The siphoner blurted.

Lexa got to her feet, and examined the area around her, before she noticed a pair of small black ears, poking out from a bush. "Hello?" She asked, softly, before a small black kitten, leapt out of the bush.

"Meow!!!" It called, racing towards Lexa. It seemed alone, and desperate. It was hungry and scared, not to mention very young. "Aw, where's your family, little one?" She asked, lowering herself to pick up the kitten. Without hesitation, it jumped into her arms.

Cold, it cuddled into Lexa's jumper, trying to find warmth. "Oh you poor thing.. let me get you some food."

━━━━━ ♥︎ ━━━━━

After feeding the kitten, Lexa had taken it to the vet, to see if it had been microchipped. "Hmm.. he doesn't seem to be microchipped... nor has he had any vaccinations. It seems to me like somebody didn't desex their cats and had a litter of kittens they didn't know what to do with" The vet suggested as Lexa frowned. "That's so irresponsible!" She growled, frustratedly.

"Well.. what should we do with this one?" The vet asked, as the kitten rubbed against Lexa's arm, affectionately. "We can ring up the animal shelter and see if they can collect him-"

"No!" Lexa blurted, as the veterinarian looked at her in surprise. "Sorry, I mean... I think I would like to keep him." She insisted, looking at the kitten, who seemed to be very affectionate towards her.

Lexa had never owned a pet, but had always wanted to.. and she was willing to do her research on how to take care of one. Having an animal to be responsible and care for, was also a really good way to improve her mental health... not only would she have a loving, furry friend for life, but she would have to force herself out of bed to feed it and care for it.