Vol 8 Chap 261 - Fabled Vermillion Bird

XH 261 - Fabled Vermillion bird

"Congratulations on breaking into the sixth rank, Master." Da Liu bowed. He was standing at the corner of the room, using the dark shadows to mostly hide himself from view.

They were inside a simple guest bedroom, but none of the things inside it was affordable unless they were super-rich to purchase. Even if Feng Jiu was the Emperor of Zhu Que's niece, she was still treated well, especially with her special status as the Vermillion Bird's vassal.

Long Zhu nodded as he dressed without a servant's help. "I heard Feng Jiu benefited as well?"

"She showed some signs of a potential breakthrough. Once she awakes, she will have the opportunity to do so." Feng Jiu was still in deep slumber from exhaustion.

"That's a relief." Feng Jiu had stuck at the fifth rank for quite some time when she had been the first among the time travelers to reach that rank.

The fight against the Gu Dan king and Liu Chu Chu was not easy, and it was only thanks to their preparation beforehand that the end result slanted towards their favourability. Long Zhu and Feng Jiu's cultivation breakthrough proved the difficulty of the battle.

He did find it a little disgusting that he had to thank that evil woman for this opportunity to breakthrough. However, he understood he had to take what was needed, as long as it would help him become stronger to keep his family safe from Gu Dan and the demon.

"How is Long Lian?" Long Zhu combed his hair and neatly tied it up with a golden hair crown with lotus craving.

"The princess is well and currently keeping the young phoenix' company."

Done dressed, Long Zhu opened the door. "Lead the way."

Long Lian was at the warmest room in Feng Jiu's palace, feeding the two phoenix grapes alternately with a happy smile.

One of them was the real baby phoenix, which had become a little bigger after a few days. The other was Long Lian's contracted beast that decided to copy the phoenix's appearance since the phoenix liked the shapeshifting beast doing so.

The little phoenix knew that the shape-shifting beast was not its real kin, but it does not mind indulging in false happiness that could only soothe its fragile heart of losing its parents for a short time.

The baby phoenix was the first to notice Long Zhu's arrival, letting out a happy chirp.

"Third brother! You are awake!"

Long Lian shoved the rest of the fruits into the expecting beak, which happened to be her contracted beast's turn. The poor beast nearly got choked by the fruits, if not for its smart thinking to change into a beast with a larger throat to swallow them all before returning back to the phoenix form with a traumatized expression.

Long Lian hurried to her brother's side with a concerned expression. "Third brother, are you sure you should be moving around already?" He was still unconscious this morning when she visited him. "I shall summon a doctor!"

"No need." Long Zhu patted her head with a warm smile. "My injuries are fully recovered, but my spiritual energy will need more time before they fully recover."

Long Lian nodded before hugging her brother. "I'm glad you are awake, third brother."

Long Zhu could see his little sister had lost some of her luster from worry over his unconsciousness. "I apologize for worrying you. Thank you for taking care of things for me while I'm unable to do so."

Pulling away, Long Lian gave her favorite brother a fierce look. "Please do not thank me for doing what I should do as your sister."

The baby phoenix let out a long string of beautiful chirps and soon realized the humans were unable to understand it when they just looked at it without an understanding gaze. So it turned to his fake kin and repeated the beautiful chords.