Fallen Leaves (Ch. 1, part 1)

I'm officially re-posting this story:) i had it up a while ago, but i took it down. it's just wasting away on my computer though, so im putting it up here:)

hope you enjoy:)

-smilingthroughitall

___________________________________________________________

Chapter One 

Lauren

I feel like I barely exist anymore.

I go to school, I’m almost invisible. People bump into me because they don’t see me, look at me for a second and keep walking.

            But I don’t want to be seen. I want to be invisible, I hate how my mom is always on my back making sure that I’m okay. I hate how she makes me go to therapy, where they constantly ask if I’m okay. I just wanted to be left alone. By everyone.         

            I walked across the parking lot to the convenient store to buy milk for my mom. I walked in and picked out a bag of milk as quick as I could.

            “Did you check the date?”

            I turned around. It was some guy. He had curly blond hair, blue-green eyes and dimples.

            “Oh, um, no...”                                 

            “You should,” He said and took the milk from me, “…. Oh, looks like your good!”

            He handed it back to me and stuck out his hand.

            “I’m Ethan.” He said.

            I put the milk in one hand and shook his with the other.

            “I’m Lauren,” I said, “Um... Thanks for, um, checking my milk.”

            He laughed, “No problem.”

            I nodded at him and went up to the cash. He followed with a bag of chips and a can of pop. I handed the cashier the money, who didn’t even notice that I came to the cash, and left.

            When I went to the grocery store that same day, I saw Ethan again. He bumped into me by accident.

            “Sorry,” He said then he realized who I was, “Hey, you’re the milk girl, Lauren right?”

            I laughed, great now I was the milk girl, “Yeah, Ethan, right?”

            He nodded, “Funny how I keep running into you. Not literally.”

            “Yeah,” I said pulling my cart away, “But I don’t think I’ve ever seen you around at my school… Where do you go?”

            He walked beside me with one of those little baskets, swinging it as we walked down the baking aisle.

            “Um…” He said as I picked up a bag of flour. He grabbed a pack of Jell-O and watched as I grabbed another pack of flour. I did not like the company of anyone, especially guys, and I wanted him to leave me alone.

            “Ethan!” I heard someone call, and then Ethan looked down the aisle.

            “Coming!” He called back then turned and waved over his shoulder. I waved back, but thanked god that he left. I continued my shopping, knowing for sure that no one would recognize me.