Chapter Eight: You Promised.

                Malcolm

                She kissed him. She actually kissed him.               

                Sure, I shouldn’t have been as surprised as I was considering how obsessed she’d been with him for the last few years, but I really thought that would be taking too much of a large step for her. I thought she would have given in and told me that I won. But did I want to win this early? When we had only just started? Maybe that’s why I dared her to do this.

                The fact that it felt like she betrayed me only added to the equation.

                Seriously, what was wrong with me that I felt betrayal? It wasn’t like we were going out or anything. It wasn’t like that at all. I guess that I had to get used to the fact that Anna would eventually go out with someone, and that someone wasn’t going to be me. I didn’t even have feelings like that for her. It just felt...weird, seeing her kiss him like that. I didn’t like Dan, not one bit, and it pissed me off when he immediately pushed himself up against her and probably stuck his tongue down her throat.

                I knew it was only her second kiss because we had our first kiss together. Grade nine. What a disaster that was. She had just gotten her braces off and was extremely self-conscious over her body at that time, and I was a pretty big nerd so no girl wanted to kiss me.  We decided that we were going to be each other’s first kiss about a year before my parents died. Our reasoning was because we were such close friends and that once you were ninth grade you should have already had your first kiss. So when the time came, Anna and I had forgotten about the pact. Or, at least I had.

It was Christmas time at my house when we were in grade nine and we were both up in my room, sitting on my bed, both equally as quiet. Anna had looked up and stated, “Kiss me.”

Of course, I was flabbergasted that she had even suggested it but before I could ask why she reminded me of the pact we had made in two words, “You promised.”

She had whispered them so quietly that I almost didn’t catch them, but the emotion behind her eyes at that moment propelled me forward and had me pressing my lips against hers. Something that so amazing, yet like we were doing something wrong. When I had pulled away, she stared at me, then pulled me right back in.

Will had barged in on us kissing and practically had a hernia.

After that night, we never spoke of it again.

                Tearing my eyes away from Anna and Dan kissing, I looked directly into the fire, silently brooding.

                “Hey! Reese!” A voice called and I glanced over my shoulder, spotting Aaron waving from where he stood with Alec. I sighed in defeat before shuffling over in their direction- avoiding looking over at Anna at all costs.

                “Hey,” I nodded at them. Alec asked if I wanted a drink and I shook my head.

                “No thanks, driving us home tonight. And I really don’t want a repeat of last time,” I mumbled. Alec shrugged and set off towards the drink table anyways, most likely grabbing something for himself.

                “Anna and Dan, huh?” Aaron asked after we watched Alec walk off. I looked over at him, watching as he took a sip of his drink- his eyes trained on where I guessed Anna and Dan to be situated.