Chapter One: Waking Up

-morning Little Falls, it’s your host John Macmillan in the morning! It is seven o’clock, wakey-wakey to all you school kids-”

My hand slammed down on the radio before John Macmillan could torture me further with his annoying radio voice.

Slowly I cracked my eyes open to reveal my 21st century room. I sighed in relief for finally waking up from the dream again. Tehall wasn’t really a fairytale life, even though it could be considered a dream. It was sad really that even in this dreamland of sorts I still didn’t have a happy ending. I lived with Peter and his family, working for them on the farm. Even after nine years of this I still could never get used to waking up in a bed made out of hay. As much as it was an adventure, I’d grown to be thankful for waking up back home where there was technology and internet.

Over the years I’ve come to the conclusion that maybe this Tehall place wasn’t just a dreamland I had made up. Maybe it was something more. There was no way, because of how real it was, that it was just a dream. Maybe I had some connection with another dimension. It was a whole lot cooler to think of it that way.

Still, I preferred reality to Tehall any day.

Slowly I sat up and stretched out my arms, letting go when I heard a crack of satisfaction. I turned my neck from side to side for another crack and frowned when none came. Easing myself up and out of bed, I threw on my oversized grey sweatshirt and headed to my brother’s room across the hall.

My little brother was 10 and a little monster. On a continuous basis, he picks his nose and spreads it on my bedspread when I’m not looking. My mom doesn’t see past his innocent facade though, and when he blames me for messes, my mom believes him. He pulls pranks on me all the time and only my dad and I know he’s a little devil. My dad just finds it amusing.

With my foot, I shoved open his door and stepped straight into the war zone. Toys, clothes and food lay everywhere. It smelled disgustingly of farts and mould.

Shoving a water gun out of the way that seemed to be there every morning, I stood at the edge of his bed and stared down at it- because it was empty.

Then suddenly, a shock of cold hit my back.

I screeched loudly and spun around only to have it sprayed in my face.

“Good morning, Cara!” Harris laughed menacingly.

The best thing about Tehall was that I had no younger brother there. Maybe that was the whole point of my dreamland: what life would be like without my annoying butt-monkey of a brother. Okay, maybe that wasn’t quite the message of Tehall, but it was the best part.

“You little brat!” I screamed while lunging at him. He squealed like a pig and took off running out into the hall and down the stairs.

The water was dripping into my eyes and down my back. Luckily I hadn’t showered last night, because when my hair got wet after it dried nicely- it would get extremely frizzy. I would look like a giant puffball on legs.

Quickly, I hopped over Harris’ toys and huffed in annoyance when I finally made it out of his room. I walked down the hall and right into the bathroom, slamming the white door behind me. It rattled in its frame from the strength of the push.

I locked the door to prevent any further pranks.

After my shower, I went back to my average sized room, green in colour and empty of any real personal touches. It contained a small twin bed, a dresser, a desk with my laptop on top, and a full body mirror on the left wall. It was practically empty but I didn’t mind too much.