Hopeless: Chapter One Part One

The night that changed your life, everyone has one. I, Quinn Alexander West, even had one.

                The night that my whole world tipped upside down and nothing seemed to be fuller of worth than that one moment. If any slight change had been made, I would be long gone and dead by now. Or still wasting away to nothing.

                But everything happened as it did.

                And it changed my life as I knew it.

The cigarette burned easily between my numb fingers as I sucked in another poisonous breath.

                It’s going to kill me, everyone says, but what do they know? Scientific facts don’t mean shit. Well, they do mean a lot, but not to me. I was going to die anyways, and I would hope it would be sooner rather than later, so why not waste away? Speed up the process?

                “Got a lighter?” Someone asked from beside me. I glanced over to see another guy my age standing beside me with a Marlboro package poking out form his plaid pocket, one placed in his mouth. Nodding, I pulled my old crappy lighter out and quickly lit it. Turning away, I took my own cigarette out of my mouth and puffed out a ring of smoke.

                The guy beside me coughed and I rolled my eyes. First timer, I thought with a roll of my eyes. The guy continued his cough and instantly tried to muffle it when I shot him a cold glare.

                He left a minute later, going back into the stuffed up party. Some stupid jock thinks he can join in with a smoker? Fat chance.

                “Stupid jock, stupid party,” I mumbled between puffs on my now almost diminished cigarette.

                “McAdams!” Someone called. Beside me, Evan McAdams grumbled through his joint.

                “He’s busy!” I called over my shoulder, stepping in front of Evan so no one could see him or what he was doing. It was some kid obviously looking for a deal.

                “I can see that Quinn. Tell him to hurry his ass up,” The kid hissed at me. I narrowed my eyes at him and the guy instantly backed up.

                “What’d you say?” I spat out angrily. The guy held his hands up defensively as I dropped my cigarette, stomping it out with the heel of my steel-toed boot.

                “Nothing. I’m sorry. I just haven’t had a hit of anything in over a week and I need it bad,” The kid whispered impatiently.

                “You better f**king treat him with respect or you aren’t getting shit,” I grumbled before walking the few feet over to Evan.

                “Quinn my man,” He smiled his high smile. It looked just like his drunken one but with more swaying. “Want?” He held the joint out to me, waving it under my nose. I shook my head.

                “Kid over there needs something,” I nodded to the kid who was now pacing by the door.

                “Rodney! C’mere buddy!” Evan called cheerfully to the Rodney kid. The guy’s ears practically perked up like a dog and he ran over.

                “Evan,” He nodded. Evan offered the joint up to his nose and Rodney ripped it out from his burned fingers.

                “I’m going to get going,” I said to Evan. “Want to ride with me or with your new buddy?”