Chapter 31

It's a good thing I dressed up a little because I just got told we are going out to eat for dinner.

"Shawn is being awfully slow." Mr. Mendes said to Aaliyah and I as we all got outside our rooms.

"Tell him to hurry his butt up." I said as Mrs. Mendes exited the room.

"I'm doing my hair, and plus what's the rush?" Shawn replied.

I entered the room and saw him in the bathroom.

"We want to beat the crowd." I told him as I entered.

"Wow," he said as he looked at me in the mirror.

"What?" I asked.

"You look nice." He replied.

"Thanks, you do too." I smiled.

"I honestly can't believe my bestie is going to be 19!" Shawn smiled.

"I know, it's crazy." I leaned against the door saying.

"Just a few hours away."

"Yep." I answered.

A few hours away from admitting my feelings to my best friend....

I'm just going to get it over with. Nothing bad will happen.

"Here, let me help make this process quicker." I said as I walked to Shawn.

I helped him finish his hair, and then after that we were ready to go.

"So, you guys wanna walk or ride in a car? What are we feeling?" Mr. Mendes asked as we all got in the elevator.

"I wouldn't mind walking." I said.

"Me neither." Shawn said.

"I love walking. We can see the beautiful city lights if we walk." Aaliyah said happily.

"Okay. I guess we are walking." Mrs. Mendes smiled.

"Where exactly are we going?" Mr. Mendes asked as the elevator door opened.

"I don't know. Let's just walk and see what place we want to eat at." She replied as we all followed her out of the elevator.

Suddenly, my phone buzzed.

It was a text message from my mom.

She gave me some of my aunts and uncles' phone numbers.

I'll deal with that later.

I put my phone away and just kept on walking.

I'm not going to even deal with my parents or contacting any of my other families until my birthday is fully over.

We ended up walking three blocks before finding a place we all wanted to eat at.

Once we found a place, we entered and a hostess guided us to a table.

"A waiter will be right with you," the hostess told us.

"Thank you," I said as she walked away.

I'm honestly so nervous to admit my true feelings to Shawn. I really don't want anything to change. I don't want anything bad to happen.

"Skyler, you okay?" Shawn asked.

I nodded my head yes.

"You sure because whatever it is we can talk about it..."

Not right now.

"I'm fine, Shawn. Thank you." I replied.

"Okay, so good news everyone. Shawn is almost finished with one song." Mrs. Mendes said as she changed the subject.

"You are? I would love to hear it." Aaliyah said looking at her brother.

"Me too." I smiled.

"You guys will hear it once it's completely done. It's almost done, but not quite. I'm going to finish it tonight." Shawn said.

"Okay," I replied.

Then, our waiter came.

"Hello, guys. I'm Jackson and I'll be your waiter this evening. Now, what may I get everyone to drink?"

I looked at the waiter saying, "Can I have a glass of water please?"

"Yes you can. For you sir?" The waiter Jackson then turned to Shawn.

"I'll just have a sweet tea. Thanks." Shawn replied.

"I'll just have water." Aaliyah said.

"Water for us, too." Mr. Mendes said speaking for his wife.

"Okay. I'll be out shortly with your drinks." Our waiter smiled happily at us.

"Alright," Shawn smiled.

The waiter left, and then I started really tuning into the music that was playing.

"Shawn, listen to the song that's on." I said as I realized one of his songs was playing.

"Oh wow, Stitches." Shawn chuckled after he listened for a moment.

"Yep...Stitches. This song is mah jam." Aaliyah smiled as she started dancing in her seat.

"Okay, goofball." Shawn smiled, and then they both chuckled.

Sometimes I wish I had a sibling because a sibling is like a built-in best friend.

Seeing Aaliyah having such a strong bond with Shawn makes me wish I had a sibling.