Chapter 15

Does Shawn really like me?

"Ayeeee! Guess who's back?" Aaliyah exclaimed after Shawn walked inside the living room.

I was still sitting with Mrs. Mendes. We spent hours talking and it felt refreshing to talk to a mother. I know it's not mine, but it felt good to talk to a person who has been through a lot more crap than I've had to go through. She's lived longer, of course.

"Hey mom, can I ask you something? Dad too." Shawn asked.

"Sure bud, what is it?" Mr. Mendes asked.

"Can Skyler move in with me when I move in to my apartment?" Shawn asked.

Oh god. Now, I don't know if I want to do that. I thought we would just be good friends moving in with each other, but my feelings are all over the place now.

"Shawn, I don't think it's a good idea just yet..." Mrs. Mendes said.

"Yeah, I'm kind of having second thoughts. I would really just like to get a place by myself." I said.

"Wait, you agreed to this?" Mrs. Mendes asked.

"Before yes because Shawn was afraid of my dad tracking me down, Shawn wanted to protect me, and being under the same roof as Shawn he would be easily able to protect me if my dad were to show up..."

"Oh."

"Well, I'm sorry Shawn, but I want to get my own place. It's just complicated." I said.

"How is it complicated?" He asked.

"It just is, sweetie. Skyler has her reasons and I agree with her." Mrs. Mendes told her son.

"Well, okay then." Shawn looked disappointed.

"You can still help me search." I smiled at him.

"Okay," Shawn smiled back.

"You guys can go." Mrs. Mendes told us.

"Thank you again for talking with me, Karen." I smiled at her, and then Shawn helped me up off the couch.

"Anytime, sweetheart. Remember what I told you."

I nodded, and then followed Shawn out the door.

"So, how was your interview?" I asked.

"It was good. A guy asked me questions, the usual questions I always get asked." He replied, and then we got in Shawn's car.

"Sweet," I replied.

"What were you and my mom talking about?" He asked as he buckled his seatbelt.

"I was talking to her about my parents and you." I replied.

"What about me?"

I chuckled, "You're so full of questions."

"Sorry, but I'm curious." Shawn chuckled as he started the car.

"Okay fine. She talked about when you and I were little we used to put on concerts in your garage."

That was one of the many things we talked about.

"Oh boy, I remember that. We used to invite your mom and both of my parents to watch us." Shawn chuckled.

"They would actually come and watch us." I chuckled as Shawn started driving.

"I was so horrible back then."

"Me too, but we both improved a lot. Don't you agree?" I asked.

"Mhm." Shawn replied while nodding his head.

Thank goodness he didn't ask about what else his mom and I talked about.

"Okay, wanna see my apartment that I'm going to move in?" Shawn asked.

"Hell yeah," I answered.

"Okie dokey. Anyways, wanna jam to some music?" Shawn asked as he connected his phone to the car with his AUX cord.

"Oh yes, dude. Put on some good tunes!" I said happily.

Thinking Out Loud by Ed Sheeran randomly started playing in the car speakers a few seconds later.

"Damn, this one is a good one." Shawn said as he figured out what song was on.

"I know right," I exclaimed.

I closed my eyes, and then enjoyed the song.

After a few seconds, I opened my eyes and looked at Shawn who was singing along to the song.

Skyler, you have to tell him soon.

It's not healthy hiding your true feelings. It can torture you.

That's it. I'll tell him on my birthday.

-

Kind of a shorter chapter, but who cares right?