Virgil (Ch.8)

I stood there staring at the horses and cringed. This was going to be a long ride if we stuck to this type of transportation. Who am I kidding? It's going to be a long trip regardless. I looked over to see Roman saddling his horse and I couldn't help but think back to the tears he had standing in front of his father. I gripped the reins and felt as someone nudged me. 

"You sure about this?" I looked over to see Deceit next to me. "You sure you want to do this?"

"It's the only way to stop it. To save Thomas and..." Deceit's eyes narrowed as I looked away. "It's my fault. I have to fix it."

"Have you told him the truth about yourself?" My eyes widened as he looked over at Roman, who was currently getting on his horse. I wasn't aware that Deceit even new the truth me. I shook my head and Deceit sighed. "Why not? If you're serious about doing this..."

"I am. He just doesn't need to know."

"And what about dad? Have you come to terms with how this is going to make him feel?" I looked away unable to meet his gaze any longer. He knew a lot more than I realized. I looked over at Roman and felt my chest close on me. It's my fault. I have to fix. No matter the sacrifice.

"You guys ready to head out?" Roman asked looking back at us. I nodded and started ahead, not even waiting for them to follow. I was the guide. I knew the way. I was going to finish this quest no matter what. "Hey, wait up!"

We made it a small town and I reflexively pulled my beanie down more. I knew it didn't matter since I can change my appearance but it made me feel safer. After all, I don't always have good control. I spotted Roman staring and gave him a look.

"Take a picture. It'll last longer." Deceit narrowed his eyes and Roman looked away, slightly blushing. I cringed under Deceit's glare as I made my way through the crowd of people. I spotted what looked to be a motel and I lit up. If it's a motel then they'll have modern shit, and I can charge my phone. I jumped off my horse, tying it up to a post, and walked inside, despite the confused look from Roman. I don't think he planned on stopping so soon, but trust me when I say nights with us is not a good thing. Neither I nor Deceit is very good when the sun goes down. Never thought I'd actually be jealous of a human...

Magic is a curse. That's all there is to it.

Deceit, however... He's not nocturnal... when the sun goes down, so does he and there is no waking him up.

"Greeting's young man, how may I help you?" I groaned at the childish talk strangers always give me. I'm older than you, lady, by at least 100 years, not that you could tell. It doesn't matter anyway.

"I have a question about your hook up." She gave me a confused look and pulled out my cell. "Is this place modern."

"Oh, that. Yes, it is." 

"Good I'd like to rent a room." She started to flip through her book until finding something that made her smile. 

"Will your parents be joining us soon or..."

"You get treated like a kid again?" Deceit said, cutting her off and wrapping his arm around me. She looked over at him and her eyes went wide. Guess she wasn't expecting a Fae. Wonder what she would say if she found out I was Elven. "Roman's tying the horses so we got 5 minutes."

"Can we just rent a room?" The woman nodded her head and handed us a key before returning to her book. Jeez I come in alone and I'm treated like a kid, Deceit comes in and he gets whatever he wants. I know it's because of his appearance, sad to say. People just don't trust someone that looks like a snake. He's come to turn it into a strength, manipulative bastard.

Roman came in just as we started for our room, and he gave both of us a dirty look. It didn't stop him from following through. We got to our room and almost immediately Deceit collapsed on one of the beds. I could see his eyes start to get glossy and I looked over at the clock, frowning. 7:34 pm... just about sundown.

"There's only two beds." I looked up to find Roman looking around. "Where everyone gonna sleep?"

"Don't worry about that Roman. Deceit's claimed that one. You got the other." I said as I started to put something's away.

"What about you?"

"I'm already handled that." I answered as I plugged my phone in beside the bed. I walked over and nudged Deceit, watching his eyes start to drop. "Hey, you got your phone? Mines dead."

"Mm... Oh, yeah... bag." I watched as his eyes closed and I sighed. This always made it hard to travel. I picked him up slightly, fixing is position in bed, and covered him up with the blankets. I walked over, grabbing Deceit's phone from his bag, and headed for the door.

"Where  are you going?" I pause has my hand was on the handle and I looked back at him. "It's dark out." That's the point. 

"I told you I have everything settled."

"Yeah but..."

"Roman..." I felt my as my arm started to tense up and I turned towards the door so he couldn't see what was happening. "Goodnight."

I left the room and made my way outside, ignoring the looks from everyone as I rushed past them. As soon as I got outside I just froze and stared at the sky, letting my arms drop to my side. Of course, it was a new moon. What is with my luck? I glanced back at the motel and sighed, only to turn and make my way into the woods. 

It's gonna be a long night.