Virgil (Ch.7)

"What the hell were you thinking?" Logan yelled as he placed dad on the bed. The crystal nearly covered half his body now and it was only getting faster. That stupid naive girl. She has no idea what she just unleashed. I looked down at the small piece I had picked up of the floor. I have to fix this. I have to... "VIRGIL ANSWER ME!"

"Hun don't be so hard on him. It's not his fault." Dad was barely able to speak. I know he can't see any more or move. Not only is Patton suffering but so is King Thomas... and Roman. I had to see... I... I turned around, avoiding the questions and the stares, and headed back to the ballroom. When I got there Roman was just standing there staring at his father. I had to choke back the anger I felt at seeing the tears. I walked over, placing my hand on the crystal that surrounded them and Roman narrowed his eyes.

"He's still alive Roman."

"How do you know that?" His voice cracked and I felt this wave of guilt crash into me. If we had destroyed it when we had the chance, none of this would have happened. 

"Because I feel it. Here..." I grabbed Romans hand, placing it under mine. His eyes went wide as the crystal warmed to his touch. It was as if it was trying to soothe him. Like his father was saying don't worry. He pulled his hand away, absentmindedly rubbing it as he did.

"Your father... Patton..."

"He doesn't have long either." Roman looked utterly broken. Just as broken as I did so long ago. I hated it. I wanted this to stop. I wanted all this to stop. Magic like this a curse. All it does is bring the pain. "Roman, we have to stop it from spreading."

"Spreading?" He looked over to where I was pointing and gasped as the crystals slowly began to crawl up the wall. "How?"

"Well, we need to get things... and if we can reverse it..."

"Reverse it?" His eyes lit up like the fourth of July. "We can reverse it? How?"

"It's not going to be easy. It was created by the royal families... So it can only be reversed by them." His face deflated fast. "Hey, we have you.. and Deceit. I am sure that's more than enough. And if we do it at the elven ruins that that should make up what we're missing."

"Are you sure we can pull this off?"

"We have to." Roman nodded and walked out, leaving me alone with the King. I placed my head back on the crystal that surrounded him and felt as the tears began to fall. "I am so sorry, this happened. I am sorry you have to go through this. I will make it better. I will set things right. I swear on the name Vaeril, and all that it stands for. You and your kingdom will not suffer the same fate as my sister Calen. As the last remaining Royal of the Elven kingdom, I promise you this."

I felt the pulse of energy and wiped my tears, leaving the room to find Deceit. He's going to get pissed, but I don't care.

Memories of that night played on repeat in my mind. My sister and I came to the village in fear. We're the only ones left. Father was killed in battle. Mother and little brother killed at the castle. Calen just wanted to keep everyone safe. I wanted to help her. She was so kind and caring and sweet. While I was scared. She took her loss and turned it into determination. While I hid and cowered in the dark. I never should've left the village. I never should've gone. Now here we are...