Chapter 53

THOMAS POV:

"We eat here, sleep here, we grow our own food, and build our own shelter" said Alby. He turned to face me. "What ever we need the box provides" said Alby. "The box" I asked looking at it. "Ya they send it once a month with fresh supplies and a new greenie. This month that's you. Congratulations" said Alby. "Hey you alright Alby" asked Newt walking up to us. He didn't have a limp. The goat didn't attack him yet. It was nice to see Newt smile again. "Thomas meet Newt. When I'm not around he's in charge" said Alby. "Hi" said Newt. Newt and I shook hands. "It's a good thing your always around then" said Newt looking at Alby. He was still holding my hand. He awkwardly let go. Newt looked at me. "Listen that was some dash you made earlier, and for a second I thought you had the chops to be a runner" said Newt. He smiled. "Till you face planted" said Newt. Him and Alby did a small laugh. "Runner" I asked. "Hey do me a favor, go find Chuck" said Alby. Newt left. 

"Look I'm sorry to rush this. The box came up a little late and we have a lot to do. We got something special planned for tonight" said Alby. I looked back at Newt. He looked back at me and our eyes met for a minute. I looked forward and followed Alby. He took me to the tree fort. "Hope you're not afraid of heights" said Alby as looked down at me. "Let's go, come on" said Alby. He climbed to the top and I followed. I could see every thing. Maze stood next to me and leaned with arms crossed on the rails. "This is all we got" said Alby leaning on the rail. I leaned on the rail with my hands and Alby looked at me. "We worked hard for it" he said. "You respect this place and you and I get along just fine" said Alby. I noticed Maze was happy. "What's out there" I asked pointing to the maze. Alby looked at the maze. He leaned on the rail with his hands. 

"We only have three rules. First do your part. No time for any free loaders. Second never harm another glader. None of this works unless we have trust, and most importantly never go beyond those walls. You understand me greenie" asked Alby. "HEY ALBY" Chuck yelled. Alby, Maze, and I walked over and looked down at Chuck. He smiled and waved up at us. "Dame he looks different" said Maze. I looked back at him confused. "I haven't been born yet my parents just got married not that long ago" said Maze a little annoyed. "Hey Chuck, where you been man" asked Alby. Alby turned to climb down. "Come on" he said. The three of us climbed down and met Chuck. "Thomas meet Chuck" said Alby. He jumped down onto the ground. I followed him. Alby walked up to Chuck. "He was the last to arrive so he get's to break you in" said Alby with his hand on Chuck's shoulder. "Hey nice to meet you. Got your stuff ready. We got a great place for you right next to mine" said Chuck. He tossed me the stuff he was holding and I caught it. "I see you already got a name greenie" said Chuck. There was a boy signaling it was quieting time. "Sounds like it's quieting time, Chuck take care of our newbie. You know what to do" said Alby. "Yes sir Alby" said Chuck. They shook hands and Alby left.