Chapter 22

THOMAS POV:

After dinner Newt and I laid in my hammock. We talked and mostly snuggled. I kissed his fore head and rubbed his shoulder. The builders came up to us with crutches. "What are those bloody for" asked Newt. "Well Alby still doesn't want you guys working yet but he agreed to have us builders make more crutches since the medjacks only had one pair" said a builder. I stood up and help Newt and the others stand. They all got crutches. Except the few that only broke their arm and can walk perfectly fine. Newt was given the crutches. He put them under his arms and rested his weight on them. "Your armpits can't rest on the top of the crutches. It's meant to be a few inches under your armpit" said a builder. Newt adjust and stood up straighter. "Try walking to me" I said. Newt and the others tried to walk on the crutches (I looked it up you can use crutches on grass just be careful. I THINK). They got the hang of it. We later had to go to bed. Newt sat on his hammock and I took his crutches. 

I set them by the pole and laid down in my own hammock. Newt and I don't always have to 'sleep' together. Besides I am awake with Newt and right next to him if anything happens. Which it won't. Every one else climbed into their bed and started to go to sleep with their crutches against the poles by their hammocks. I closed my eyes pretending to sleep. Newt did the same. About a hour or so later I open my eyes and laid there silently. I looked up at the roof as I listen to every one sleep. Newt is being quiet tonight.

NEWT POV:

I woke up and looked over at Thomas rubbing my eyes. His bed was empty. I sat up and looked at the other beds. Empty, all of them. I grabbed my crutches and stood up. They must be having breakfast. That's odd. I fell asleep and no one woke me. Why? I signed. Maybe they just forgot. I walked to the kitchen and entered. No one. "FRYPAN" I yelled. He is always in the kitchen. No answer. I walked around the glade yelling every ones name. No one was here. I'm alone. I dropped the crutches. 

No this can't be real. "THOMAS" I yelled. Nothing. I kept trying. "THOMAS" I yelled bolting up. Every one jumped up and Thomas ran up to me. I was breathing heavy again. "Newt you okay" asked Thomas. I signed and nodded. "Just a nightmare" I said. Every one relaxed. Thomas handed me my crutches and I got up. "Come on, you can tell me as we walk" said Thomas. We left the sleep area and climbed the tree fort. Thomas had to carry me up the latter. We sat with our feet hanging over the edge and my crutches on my lap. "Newt what happened in your dream" asked Thomas. I signed. "I was alone Tommy. I tried to find you but couldn't. Every one was gone" I said. Thomas signed. "Newt what's happening. You are sleeping and having nightmares? Is it possible you are" asked Thomas unable to finish. "Are what" I asked looking at him. "Turning human" asked Thomas. I could hear the fear in his voice. "No, it has to be something else. I think it could just be a bad dream from trying to sleep or something" I said. "Well if that's the case try walking more today. Don't over do it but maybe your body just isn't use to laying down all day and night" said Thomas.